matrix playing up

David_K

Full time elf
Hi all,
I am having issues with our matrix
See attached picture (which is just the same coloured bits all the time) , i have a small video but can't upload it here its supposed to say "|Merry Christmas"
In xlights the words come across fine, but when it comes to output it's like in the video
I have attached pics of advatek and xlights setup
The matrix goes through the test in advatek just fine.
Thanks
Dave & Julie

Attachments

• adv.jpg
    adv.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 17
  • xl.jpg
    xl.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 19
  • xl2.jpg
    xl2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 18

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You look to have 450 channels configured for a matrix. Is it really just a 10pixel x 15 pixel matrix?

David_K

Full time elf
There are 15 vertical 1 metre strips. with 30 pixels on each strip.
Have I calculated it right in xlights?

AAH

Is it 10 12V pixels (30 leds) or actually 30 pixels which could be 30 leds or 90 leds depending on voltage.
Output 2 on Advatek which I guess you're using has 1020 pixels (3060 channels) configured but in lights you have 150 pixels (450 channels).

David_K

Full time elf
yes sorry its 30 pixels per strip and 12v
yes output 2
Ok I will look at that, thanks
I am new to xlights, so in Advatek I will have to put the number of pixels into it too?

AAH

Both the Advatek setup and Xlights need to have the correct number of pixels assigned. If the Advatek test mode lights them all up then it's configured right or close enough. In Xlights go to tools and test. Scroll down until you get to the model for your matrix and turn it on. I'm thinking that maybe you will have 1/3 of the matrix turn on.

David_K

Full time elf
I can't see the matrix as its on the roof in its spot lol so when it gets dark.
in the layout where you put your strings etc in,
where its says "direction", I need vertical
with the next one "# strings" do I put 15 for the amount of vertical strands
Next one is "nodes/string" I put 10 cause there are 10 strands or do I put the number of pixels per strand which is 30?
I am finding this very confusing.

AAH

Hi David
Now you're confusing me. 1 line you say 15 strands and the next you say 10 :jawdrop:
It sounds like you have 15 strands so that's what you put.
I'm just guessing but you probably need your xlights setup to be something like
Direction - vertical
#strings - 15
Strands/string -1
Nodes/string - 30
Start location - bottom left (you're the only 1 to know that)
Start channel - 10:409

Depending on whether all of your strips start at the bottom or whether you zig zag from the top to bottom you may need to zigzag in either xlights or the Pixlite. I'm not sure how you do either but changing from 15/1/30 to 8/2/60 may give the effect required. I'm not sure.
As you appear to have props after the matrix be aware that changing from 15/1/10 as you have to 15/1/30 will push the channel number down.

David_K

Full time elf
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help thus far much appreciated. My wife has been trying to get things sorted whilst I was working.

We have never encountered a problem with the matrix like this before. The matrix consists of 15 vertical rows or strings of lpd6803 light strip There are 10 chips in each strip. from what I understand is that even though there are 30 physical pixels they are grouped in three counted as one. This has always worked in Light show pro. 15 x 10 starting in the bottom left hand corner going up and down til we get to the opposite end finishing at the top right corner. This is the first time we have used xlights and the first time using advatek pixilite boards.

Everything works fine including the candles and tree which are a matrix in their own right. But the matrix is scrambled. When the words Merry Christmas scroll across we are at the point where you can make out the M and the C but the rest is not legible. We have changed every setting known to man kind except the right one apparently. Sometimes it appears the pixel may be trying to move up and down as well as across this may be an optical illusion or too many drinks. Its not just text that is scrambled you can add a spiral or whatever but even though it all looks good on xlights when it comes out on the matrix something is not outputting right. We have spend about a grand this year getting back into the lights and not one nights showing very disheartening and stressful.

AAH

Each pixel is 1 IC. Therefore you're 10 pixels per metre or 10 leds as 12V strip has 3 leds in series.
You have output 3 of the pixlite configured with overlapping channels from output 2.
It's possible that your initial error is that you had/have the matrix configured as horizontal instead of vertical.