Max distance from psu?

SamJ

New elf
My second power supply keeps failing and turning half of my house a dull red, so I’m wondering if I could run the whole thing off a single psu.
About 1500 pixels total, all 5V. My controller is on the side of the house and I have a long (100 ft, 12awg) power injection cable run for the roofline that measures fine and displays colors consistently throughout. Could I take another run from that controller box to the middle of the house to the fuse block that the second psu was feeding about 60 ft away? From the fuse block I have power running to the lawn elements at maybe 20-30 ft.
I’ll probably try this tomorrow evening, but wanted to query the collective in case it’s a terrible idea.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
What brand power supplies have you got (Meanwell, cheap Chinese no names etc)?

What is their output rating (Amps)

How many pixels do you have on the power supply that keeps failing?

SamJ

New elf
They’re Chinese no names, 60A rated.
The failing one was powering about 500 pixels.
I had good color before I even setup the second psu unless I put everything on white. (I didn’t sever the common V+ connection until just before plugging in the second supply)

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
If you are running your pixels at 100%, try dropping them down to 25-35% brightness maximum. I believe your power supply is "over rated" and is not capable of handling 60A. I have had the same issue with small 5v 20A and 10A power supplies not able to output 3A before cutting out.

If they are able to run at say 30% brightness I think you have found your problem and may need to source a nice legitimate meanwell power supply if you wish to carry on at 100%
Your power injection cables may also be playing a factor in this, but lowering the maximum brightness should lessen the issue

SamJ

New elf
If you are running your pixels at 100%, try dropping them down to 25-35% brightness maximum. I believe your power supply is "over rated" and is not capable of handling 60A. I have had the same issue with small 5v 20A and 10A power supplies not able to output 3A before cutting out.

If they are able to run at say 30% brightness I think you have found your problem and may need to source a nice legitimate meanwell power supply if you wish to carry on at 100%
Your power injection cables may also be playing a factor in this, but lowering the maximum brightness should lessen the issue
The lights are set at 30%. I should have mentioned that in the initial post.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Might be time to source a new power supply/s, I don't think your single power supply will handle 1500 pixels, the cable runs will be too extreme and the pixels won't receive the required voltage when running.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Might be time to source a new power supply/s, I don't think your single power supply will handle 1500 pixels, the cable runs will be too extreme and the pixels won't receive the required voltage when running.
I agree.

The only thing to add is that the generic units even with 350w are actually 50A max and you should budget them at 44A max... you might think it's only got 500 pixels but with the passive load sharing going on and the long 100' run from the first supply the second one could be powering up to 1000 pixels.
but at 30% that should max out around 15A ... mmm sure they are on 30% .... at 100% you could be around 50A and that will cause the supply to hiccup

Last edited:

SamJ

New elf
I've put in an order for a replacement PSU and am considering swapping both of them out for MeanWells.

The reason I'm still considering another long run from the 1st PSU is because it was all working so well (except pure white) with mostly passive runs all connected through the pixel strands themselves before I plugged in the second unit.