MDF in controller box

Kim_H

New elf
Just wondering if its ok to use a MDF backboard in a controller box with power supplies?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Worked fine for me! There shouldn't be any reason why it's not fine..... You're keeping moisture out because of the electronics anyway...

Kim_H

New elf
I was wondering about fire restrictions or whether it was bad practice, like switchboards have to be non-combustible materials, I didn't think it would apply but better to ask.
I'll get my sparky to do the 240volt part but I didnt want to go too far in the wrong direction, sounds like its ok so I'll continue.

Thanks
Kim

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Until plastic became the norm in the late 70s-early 80s, TVs and Radios were all housed in timber, followed by particle board. This included valve systems which got hot. Even today, your speakers / subwoofers that have inbuilt amplifiers are made out of MDF for strength.

Switchboards rules are what they are because of the concentration of cables, the likelihood of a fault being critical, as well as the requirement to contain the fire within the enclosure. Cables also pass through the switchboard panel from behind to the front to connect to the breakers. You wont have that issue in a pixel controller enclosure where it's just used as a mounting plate.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Like others have said the only concern with MDF is moisture. The only other concern is fasteners holding to it. It doesn't do well with just having screws but if you plan to drill holes and use small bolts that won't be an issue. Small screws will hold but will eventually pull out if removed and inserted or if too much pressure is applied while turning. Pilot holes are you friend with MDF.

If you already do not have MDF on hand and are worried you can just use plywood instead. I have used plywood in my box without any concerns on a two level box for two years now.

Short answer, it'll work.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
If you are going to buy it then maybe look at the marine grade ply. Not that much more. Plastic chopping boards from the $2 shops are a good choice too.

As Indi said use small bolts with nuts and spacers.

Last edited:

scamper

Dedicated elf
The only issue I see is if you screw a cct board directly to the board. If you get a high voltage or current dry joint it can arc and then the possibility of starting a fire is higher. If you use stand offs, then this is not an issue.
Most of what we do is not high enough voltage or current to do this as the power supply is already contained, but as a tech in the repair industry I have seen this once or twice back in the 80's with some poorly designed tv's so I just make it a practice to never do it.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yeah I've had arcing through MDF before, but that was with a 20kV Jacobs Ladder I built :) It also went through 5mm of air and 2x 2mm thick pieces of plastic in total.
Oops. High school experiments are fun :) Haha

Hoogieburner2

New elf
I personally use aluminum in all my exterior applications. Can cut with a jigsaw or circ saw. Easy to drill, thinner than ply or mdf, and will never rust.