Mega tree and layout questions

M5Trader

New elf
Hello all - First year doing Christmas lights. Been wanting to do it for some time and decided to do it this year. I am doing a Mega tree from Holiday Coro, 4 mini trees and 4 arches. I know the ideal setup is to do a 16 strand megatree with the 16 ports. I was hoping to do the tree on 6 ports - doing a daisy chain for 100 nodes - power at the bottom then have the strands to go up then back. However, when I finally got this somewhat configured, it seams that the light go in the opposite direction on the second strand of each run. I know this is a small config issue but cant seem to put my finger on it.

Was going to put 2 trees on a port (2 ports) and 2 arches on a port (2 ports). All of my stuff is 12v.

Any help is appreciated.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
for a 16 strand of 50 pixels, where each string is 100 pixels (up for 50, down for 50) then I think this is how you set it in xLIghts.
Strands/String of 2 automatically does the zig zag (up/down) I believe.

strands.png

EDIT:
oops my bad, in effort to rush pic, I did bad math. Should be 8 strings to give total of 16. Thanks @BAZMick for pointing out my error.

Last edited:

M5Trader

New elf
for a 16 strand of 50 pixels, where each string is 100 pixels (up for 50, down for 50) then I think this is how you set it in xLIghts.
Strands/String of 2 automatically does the zig zag (up/down) I believe.

View attachment 15972
When I do that it give me 32 strands so I think I need o leave the # of Strings at 16. Still not doing it correcting from the controller.

M5Trader

New elf
Ok so I am doing a test with only 6 ports for now since I can not do the full 8 since I have to strands being replaced. I would think doing 6 ports for a total 6 strings of (2) 50 pixel sets.

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 33

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Here's how it works out for 800 pixels over 8 ports:

Attachments

• Matrix Config.png
    Matrix Config.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Matrix Wiring View.png
    Matrix Wiring View.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 59

M5Trader

New elf
Did all that but I think there is something else going on. I am in the US on east coast so I am headed to bed. Will look some more and post. Again....Thank you all for your comments.

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Do you have to set it up as a matrix model or tree model? Does that make a difference as I see David has posted as matrix and looks like M5Trader and BazMick are using the tree config. I am following as I am in the process of designing my setup for next year and will be trying to do something similiar to the OP

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Do you have to set it up as a matrix model or tree model? Does that make a difference as I see David has posted as matrix and looks like M5Trader and BazMick are using the tree config. I am following as I am in the process of designing my setup for next year and will be trying to do something similiar to the OP
is does make a difference yes

M5Trader

New elf
I have it set up as a tree model. From all indications, I have it set up correctly in Xlights. but something is not translating to the controller and then to the lights.

M5Trader

New elf
Well Looks like I stumbled on the solution. It was both some settings in Xlights as well as the controller configs.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.