Mega Tree Controller Question -

Jameski911

New elf
Hi Guys

Planning a 24 x 50 180 mega tree and about to order some controller components. I would like to use Hanson boards and my question is - Should I be running each 100 strand up and down as 1 channel (using 12 channels of the controller) OR running a 4 channel Cat5 daughterboard to a 4 channel receiver and using the 4 channels (or 2 boards for 8)?

The latter would have the benefit then running the whole show from 1 controller, not multiple with slave master, and also not having to run lots of extra cables from controller to Mega Tree?

Than

i13

Dedicated elf
It's your choice. You can divide up the strands among the controller outputs however you want to. The only not-so-obvious limitation (which you've satisfied anyway) is that assuming you're using xLights, there should be the same number of strands on each controller output that is used for the tree.

Using more controller outputs means that if a pixel fails and stops sending data to the other pixels on the same output, you don't have as many pixels stop. If you use fewer controller outputs then this leaves more controller outputs for other items. My preference for matrices (same for a mega tree if I had one) is to use fewer controller outputs and make the strands easily swappable with a connector on each end. Although wiring failures can happen, making the strands easily swappable means that it doesn't matter how many pixels stop when one fails; they all work again when I swap out the strand with the failed pixel. The only additional point to consider for a mega tree is that it might be hard to reach the top in order to swap a strand

BTW, you're using the word "channel" incorrectly. Each individual pixel has three channels, one each for the red, green and blue within it.

Jameski911

New elf
It's your choice. You can divide up the strands among the controller outputs however you want to. The only not-so-obvious limitation (which you've satisfied anyway) is that assuming you're using xLights, there should be the same number of strands on each controller output that is used for the tree.

Using more controller outputs means that if a pixel fails and stops sending data to the other pixels on the same output, you don't have as many pixels stop. If you use fewer controller outputs then this leaves more controller outputs for other items. My preference for matrices (same for a mega tree if I had one) is to use fewer controller outputs and make the strands easily swappable with a connector on each end. Although wiring failures can happen, making the strands easily swappable means that it doesn't matter how many pixels stop when one fails; they all work again when I swap out the strand with the failed pixel. The only additional point to consider for a mega tree is that it might be hard to reach the top in order to swap a strand

BTW, you're using the word "channel" incorrectly. Each individual pixel has three channels, one each for the red, green and blue within it.
Thanks mate, I think I'm confusing the terms channel and controller output. And the channel data flows on the data line.

For 300 pixels per output, where would you suggest PI at 12V 30%? I have read people getting away with no PI

LeighH

New elf
I wouldn't worry about power injection my 5v 32 string x 50 doesn't need it. Although the power is balanced over 4 strings top & bottom, 200 pixels per channel. Only running 30% so it doesn't blind people :)

i13

Dedicated elf
If you have 300 12V pixels per controller output and you're powering at the beginning, I would think that as a ballpark figure, you could power inject in both directions at pixel 200. That might even be enough to run it at 100% brightness. Your mileage may vary depending on the pixel spacing and the wire gauge between the pixels but there would be plenty of headroom at 30% brightness.

I personally would use more injection points and choose 5V pixels but I do acknowledge that this is a personal preference that not everyone has.

Adsy

Full time elf
My tree was 32 x 60 and was split into quarters with power injection at 240 pixel intervals running at 30% no dramas at 12V