Mega tree - finished at last (almost)

damo1271

Full time elf
I finally got my mega tree finished and erected.
There is no external bracing yet so I am a bit worried about the wind tonight. :( However with 60Kg of concrete holding it up and the post inserted 900mm into the ground it shouldn't go anywhere!

Now just need to finish wiring and it is good to go.

I need to acknowledge Ruprect for the idea of the eyelets and webbing for holding pixels - thanks, your videos and pics inspired me to do a mega tree!

mborg10

Michael Borg
Looking good. Can't wait to see these trees lit up. I stole the idea too strapping and frame is all done but waiting for my pixels to arrive.

The base sounds heavy enough. My tree last year was 6m tall and it slide into some pipe concreted into my lawn. I used 1, 20kg bag of rapid set and the pipe went in about 500mm. I had no issues and I didn't use any guy wires either, but this year I'm going to play it safe and tie some steel cable back to my fascias on the house.

vincerules

Full time elf
Do you have any more pictures of this? The previously posted ones don't seem to be working...

I am starting my build using this method. Thanks!

firebug

Senior elf
damo1271 said:
I finally got my mega tree finished and erected.
There is no external bracing yet so I am a bit worried about the wind tonight. :( However with 60Kg of concrete holding it up and the post inserted 900mm into the ground it shouldn't go anywhere!

Now just need to finish wiring and it is good to go.

I need to acknowledge Ruprect for the idea of the eyelets and webbing for holding pixels - thanks, your videos and pics inspired me to do a mega tree!

Why cant I see any attached jpg's :(

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
chances are it is from the server crash... These images may not have been backed up.

Damo will have to reupload i dare say..

This is why, uploading your images to dropbox or another cloud sharing site is probably a better idea. (msg me if you want a Dropbox invite) :p

damo1271

Full time elf
I have re attached images, hopefully they open OK now.
My tree is made from 50mm 1.6 steel tubing. It it approx 3m from ground level to top of tree. There is a base plate (250mm square welded onto 50mm RHS) that is concreted into the ground 900mm. The tree has a matching plate and bolts to the concreted base at ground level.
The tree withstood 90kmh winds that we had in early December (for well over a day it blew like that) and not a hint of trouble.
The nylon strapping has also held up fine. It is thinner than what other seem to be using as I could punch the eyelet through without having to punch a hole first. there is no fading or perishing after rain, wind and 45 degree days. I will definitely get another year or two out of it at this stage.

Attachments

• IMGP4045 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP4045 - Copy.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 128
  • IMGP4046 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP4046 - Copy.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMGP4047 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP4047 - Copy.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 79

vincerules

Full time elf
Looks good damo!

Would you mind giving a link or some more info on the nylon strapping you used please? Thanks!

damo1271

Full time elf
vincerules said:
Looks good damo!

Would you mind giving a link or some more info on the nylon strapping you used please? Thanks!

I am pretty sure it was Marks mega store on ebey.
I bought the following
Binding Tape Polyester 25mm Black 100m
And also the 36mm.
The 25mm was used on the tree and even though the eyelet appears to take out most of the material I had no problems with breaking.
I used and eyelet punch to set the eyelets. A good 50% probably went straight through properly. Others had a few strands of thread that held the wad to the eyelet. Just pull the punched bit out of the tape. it doesnt cause any problems with the pixels.
I found it was best to use a quick 'stab' when using the eyelet press to make sure the eyelet punched through properly.
I made a jig to set the correct and consistent distances with the punch.

Attachments

• IMGP4026a.jpg
    IMGP4026a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

vincerules

Full time elf
Damo,

How did you like using the plastic strap adjustor things on the bottom of your straps? Did they stay tightened?

I am only doing a 180 tree, so I was told I would need to support the pole from behind since all the weight will be in front, but now I'm thinking of supporting the bottom half circle from below (in the front) and then using the strap adjustors I could make the the straps are tightened.

I was planning to use D-rings, but I'm leaning towards this idea now...

damo1271

Full time elf
You have a keen eye if you can pick the strap attachments in the photo!
I used two plastic D rings to adjust the straps at the bottom. I got the idea from my motorcycle helmet. they held fine and we had some very strong winds. (90+ KMH)
I did loop a few of them through twice, but it didnt seem necessary.

To start push the strap down through both eyelets. Bring the strap around the bottom of your tree and thread it back up though both eyelets. Bring the strap over the top of the first eyelet and down through the second eyelet.
It will hold tight, is easily adjustable. I tied the excess strap in a loose knot or pushed it back through the eyelets to use up the excess. I can give a diagram if needed.- just let me know.

vincerules

Full time elf
Thanks Damo, I think I may give that a try. I ended up buying a 100 pack of d-rings so I have enough to use one at the top and 2 at the bottom to use your securing method. Thanks for the idea!