Mega tree/Pixel tree - lights choice

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I'm not even sure what a mega tree is. Anyway I've decided in for a penny in for a pound. I think I want to do a 180 degree pixel tree. In case my terminology is all wrong I want to do a 2d tree. Not sure how tall or how many strands yet. Need to do a budget first.

My question is:-

Is it okay to use 12v strings with 3 led/pixel or do you get a better result with 5v strings due to the greater pixel density. I suppose I am asking how many pixels per metre is required to look good and give some flexibility in operation.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
A couple of things, 2D or 180 degree, are you wanting a flat tree or a semi circle?
Strips will look better if doing a 2D tree
If doing strings then each node is controllable no matter wether it's 5v or 12v
What height tree are you wanting to build & how far from the road or point of view will it be?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Sorry I was thinking strips anyway. Not 100% sure about flat or semi circular. You'd still use strips for both wouldn't you. Was thinking probably flat. Not sure on height. Budget will dictate that to some degree maybe. But hopefully say in the 3-5m range.

Distance from street is around 3m from front fence. 8-10m if you don't get out of the car on a drive by.

I was more wondering if you go 12v, pixels take up horizontal strips of say 10cm of light (3 led). If you go 5v, each pixel is say a few cms (1 led). Is there a minimum width you need to get a decent picture clarity or that the human eye can detect. Hope this makes sense.

Are pixel strips or strings cheaper? I'm assuming strings are more robust.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
2811 12v Pixel strip is the cheapest by far http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/568458133.html

If you are going for budget, that is your best bang for buck.

I would also suggest going for a 2D tree vs 180degree for strip, I made one 2.5m tall (cheap and easy), but the bigger ones have a huge wow factor.

This is my thread when I was working out mine (including vids of mine and other peoples trees).

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Kaden. Looks great and has got me inspired. Was there any advantage in the end having the number of arms divisible by 4 to go with the typical song timing.

dale82

Senior elf
Im doing a 2.5m Megatree using strips this year, im going for 36x2.5m using those exact strips

Kaden

dale82 said:
Im doing a 2.5m Megatree using strips this year, im going for 36x2.5m using those exact strips

36!!!! is that going to work at 2.5m long?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
A matrix and a megatree!! Your place will definitely stand out this year Dale.

mellowcouple

Full time elf

Attachments

• 20131211_204740.jpg
    20131211_204740.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59

Kaden

dale82 said:
im pretty sure that is what shell used Kaden, its going to be a 270 tree

oooooooooh i was thinking 2D. Silly me :)

270 tree with 36 strips would be awesome!

Kaden

BundyRoy said:
Thanks Kaden. Looks great and has got me inspired. Was there any advantage in the end having the number of arms divisible by 4 to go with the typical song timing.

If you are chasing in one direction, divisible by 4 works best due to the timing of most songs being 4/4.

If you are chasing both directions at the same time having an extra strip in the middle gives you a "centre" to work from/to.

In the end it didn't matter as you are mostly doing effects on the tree, ala a matrix.

dale82

Senior elf
I think the only addition to my display is the megatree oh and some more lights & maybe.......... I think I have CLAP big time!

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Ron. Everything helps. I see you went the 5V way so you get more individual light pixels per metre. How did you go with power injection and outputs on the controller. Can you get up and back (5m) without power injection. If you do run power injection can you get a wire from the PSU at the bottom to the top without much voltage drop to save using controller outputs. Maybe I've got this all wrong and I'll ask some intelligent questions after you tell me how you did it.

mellowcouple

Full time elf
I ran the tree off a J1sys p12s controller using 6 universes. Used 2 Ray Wu psu's and didn't have to worry about power injection as it all worked good.

Ron.