Mega-Tree pole re-build question

Howdy all...

Due to last years debacle with our mega tree, I want to make sure the pole doesn't bend and can easily go up and down quickly.

Is there a build link somewhere, where the pole has been done as a tilt-up?

Would like to have a tilt up pole, without a winch if possible (but open to using a winch, as I already have one)

Any pointers would be very appreciated....

videoman3857

Full time elf
I too am going for a rebuild - next year. I have 24 double up mega strings on my tree.
Way too heavy to tilt lift, so next year a winch to wind it up will be on the drawing board.

Steve22537

Full time elf
IMG_1513.JPG I'm in the middle of frantically rebuilding my tree from last year, this year I'll post some more details. I know a little late for this year but it may help those planning for next year.

Wendys

New elf
This is my Mega tree Topper,
I rolled the Flat myself, and welded it together,
I rolled two bit of flat the same, and the Boscoyo strip is between them and bolted together for extra support
The centre bit was cut in half so I can remove it from the tree pole and I can leave the pixels attached.
I can winch it up and down fairly effortlessly. I have glued Rubber on the inside so it slides better,

Cheers Wendys
IMG_7629.jpg IMG_7630.jpg IMG_7690.jpg IMG_8854 2.PNG

Wendys

New elf
This is the Bottom ring of the Mega Tree, I bent a full length of 1 inch square tube.

Got two larger bits of flat steel and welded a hinge between them, I welded the Mega Tree pole to one of the bits of steel so I can lift and lower the pole.

I cut 32 bits of small flat steel, drilled them out for the J bolts and bent over and welded the to the bottom ring, I raised them up so I could adjust each string of lights individually with the 100mm J Bolts.
IMG_7650 2.JPGIMG_7653 2.JPGIMG_7658 2.JPGIMG_7659 3.JPGIMG_7719.PNG

Wendys

New elf
Mega Tree when almost completed,

Welded bracing to the bottom that holds the hinged flat steel with the welded Mega pole.

Once erected, I have bracing from 4 sides of the pole, I added turn buckles on the sides so I can adjust the pole either way incase the tree is on a slope.

I attached a pulley at the top of the pole and run the steel cable from the winch over it and back down to a D Bolt thats welded to the back of the tree topper.

IMG_7676.jpgIMG_7678.jpgIMG_7682.jpgIMG_7685.jpgIMG_8853 2.PNG

Last edited:

CrazyCatLady

New elf
Wow, that looks awesome @Wendys :thumbsup:
We're building a tilt up system for ours. It looks like it will be much stronger and easier to put up and down as needed. Hoping to finish next weekend

Wendys

New elf
I purchased one.
I made all the bases rings for my spiral trees also with it. Like the bunnings ones,

When you lay the pole down, I can tap it with a hammer and the hinge comes apart so I can store it.

Wendys

New elf
The mini trees I made, Rolled the bottom ring, Welded 4 bits of rod, them welded wire around the tree,

Have 5 meters of Strip on them,

Yeah you can buy them, but its fun to DIY

IMG_7929.JPGIMG_7928.JPGIMG_7927.JPG