Mega tree setup help

stan780953

New elf
Hi,

I have created a 16 strand tree, each strand is 50 pixels and connected to the controller over 4 ports.

Although everything seems to be working I just wanted someone to cast their eyes over the settings to make sure it's correct.

I'm not sure if it's because of the lack of strings, but some of my effects are not looking the same as they do on screen.Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 08.51.31.png
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 08.49.47.png
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 08.58.33.png

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
Seems like a pretty typical / straightforward setup. It assumes that the string goes up from the bottom left (in the back, see the one pixel that is light blue and not yellow), goes up 50 pixels, turns right and back down the tree to the bottom, turns left to head back up the tree, and then down again. Next connection will be on screen left at the bottom, repeating the zigzag. Port 3 would connect at the front, 4-strand zigzag again, and Port 4 would connect at the bottom right side and zigzag its way up and down the tree, headed to the back.

Wondering what about the effects looks different than it does on screen? You might try some simple effects like color bars going different directions, or an image, or something to figure out the difference, but there really is not much to go wrong. The other thing I can think of is the colors might be off. Try some different colors, if they are wildly off (like you get red when you asked for green), make sure they are RGB, not GRB, etc. If the oranges look yellow, set the gamma, try a number like 2.2 which helps most WS2811 and clone pixels have truer colors (GS8208 and similar are the exception).

stan780953

New elf
@merryoncherry
Thanks for your reply - I think I need to check my start point and try a basic test.

The strings are zig zagged and I wasn't sure if I needed to change anything else in xLights.

I tried a spiral effect which didn't look right so I'm hoping if I check things over I can get it working. I have taken everything down so probably won't have an update for a while!

stan780953

New elf
@KStatefan
My thinking is that because I have only got 16 strands the spiral effect wouldn't have been as great as say a 32 strand. I think going back to basics will rectify the issue.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
There is the option of running 16 strands but not running in 360 degrees of view. I only run at about 220 degrees since no one will see the back. This puts the strands closer for a better overall view.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
@KStatefan
My thinking is that because I have only got 16 strands the spiral effect wouldn't have been as great as say a 32 strand. I think going back to basics will rectify the issue.
I think a 16-strand tree will show spirals just fine. Even my mini-trees with 10 strands of 13 nodes show a half-decent spiral. If it looks good on screen, it would likely look a lot better in real life.

Another thing I thought of that should be suggested - make sure you're uploading your controller configuration and doing a "render all" after you make layout changes. Sometime a silly discrepancy between what the layout says and what the controller's been told last makes things a bit wonky.

This is probably not something you messed with, and if it looks fine on screen it can't be to blame, but the render style of the spiral effect on a tree would generally be "default"... if you do "per preview" or something else it will look a lot different.

scamper

Dedicated elf
If it doesn't look the same it is probably just the spacing, as you say with 16 strands around the tree, first thing there is they are going all the way around the tree, and next is if you have say 2 inch spacing on the pixels and the strands are say 6 inch's apart, then you have a visual error so the spiral may look stretched.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I would make your tree at minimum a 180 degrees tree. No one is going to see the back of it, and then your strings will be closer together when looking from the front. My tree last year was 18 string's and only 180 degrees... Also think of the height of your tree. This year I'll be increasing it to 24 strings, but staying at it's current 2.5-3M tall.