Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2020 Interest thread

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Can't believe it's that time of year again to think about Minis!!
Last year's was deemed a success however and the venue location (closer to Melbourne) was welcomed, however feedback received was that it was a bit too small a little outdated.

So the call is out - could we please get some early leads on a suitable venue that is easy for all to access, is large enough and is CHEAP (or better, free!)
Please reply below if you have a lead on a venue, please make contact with the venue owner to confirm availability and price and comment back here or PM myself with details.

Of course we also need to know when is best to hold it. Traditionally its around May-June (outside of Mothers Day & Queens birthday weekends) but there was also feedback of holding it much earlier in the year. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also open to lots of help and assistance from anyone - this cannot be run without the help of as many people gettuing involved in YOUR mini :)

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
So, no-one wants a Melb mini then??

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Everyone in Vic please wake up and start posting what you want at this year's Vic mini. without your input the guys trying to get it going this year may just cancel it!!!

without everyone's support, these minis do not happen as they do not run themselves. they need support from members. also, they are a great way to meet everyone and learn so much more about this hobby then you already do.

So come on everyone get involved

fiona scott

Myers lights
Hi my wife and I are interested in coming to the Melbourne mini this year . we also work weekends so just need to put in for holiday at least 4 weeks before hand. what's the cost normally around to go to one please . thanks scott

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Regarding venues, what numbers would be looking to have to cater for?
Last year we had about 30 but no room to display items for display or selling, so need more room to move would be great, plus a place with a projector and tables/chairs would be ideal.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi my wife and I are interested in coming to the Melbourne mini this year . we also work weekends so just need to put in for holiday at least 4 weeks before hand. what's the cost normally around to go to one please . thanks scott
Will depend on venue availability as to when it will be held. Many dates around May already filling up with other states minis and sometimes interstate guests want to attend both.
Last year cost was $15 per person, per day. May come down to venue costs.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I'd like to come as a guest! But please choose a venue that's warmer. Also would like to see a xlights session for those new to using the software, (I just ran basic affects last year).

leighf

New elf
Definitely interested in attending as this will be my first attempt at a (small) display this Xmas. Any time except April I will come, probably both days.
Most interested in sequencing tips with xLights.

Last edited:
Would love to come to a mini. Have been doing big displays for around 15 years and have moved to a much smaller frontage so looking to move to pixel lights. Would love too chat to other light addicts!

Andrewnabs

New elf
Keen to come along and learn more, first year of owning a house and have already started collecting parts for the 2020 display.