Answered MFC Transformer delay triggering lights

Cee DeLights

New elf
Hi everyone,

Noobie here and first time getting into controlling my Christmas lights, so please be kind :)

I'm just using standard Christmas lights (Bunnings/KMart/BigW) which I had lying around for many years.
I've hacked the MFC so they are all constantly on.
I'm also using some spotlights and flood lights.

These are connected to my Raspberry PI running Vixen and triggered using SSR Relays and synced to music.
Works perfectly well with the spotlights and flood lights.

However, I found that the transformers in the Kmart/Bunnings MFC causes a slight delay of half a second or so between when the Vixen beat sequence triggers and when the actual lights "turn-ON".

I can get away by off-setting the beats/bars timing marks using Audacity, then import into Vixen.
For example, create the beats timings then shift the timings forward.
Not the most elegant and also means the lights turn-OFF sooner.

Is there a setting in Vixen or XLIghts (or any other) that allows you to add some kind of off-set timing for a particular channel?
Perhaps something like:
Channel 1,2,3 = Offset Lead Time 0.5 second

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Chris.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I can't help with the software question, but turning the lights on and off repeatedly may not be so good for the switchmode power supply in them. You really need to be looking at a better control method long term. Switching the output of the (hacked) MFC to the lights would be a better idea.

Cee DeLights

New elf
Thanks for the response David. Yes indeed, this time is just getting my feet wet with controller setups and understanding the Falcon Player, Vixen, XLights sequencing etc. etc.
But for the time being, just using what I have lying around :)

Could elaborate further when you mean switching the output of the MFC?
At the moment, I have power receptacles connected to the Relays, which in turn switches the MFC's ON/OFF.
Are you suggesting to wire the output lines on the other side of the MFC's to the relays instead? This may keep the transformers 'powered' I suppose?

Thanks, Chris

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yes, leaving the MFC powered up and interrupting the power between the MFC and the lights is the way to go. Exactly how you do that would depend on what relays / SSRs you have.

Cee DeLights

New elf
Hi David,
Thank you.This works perfectly.
I've used the ground wire coming out of the MFC and connected to relay.
This keeps the transformer powered ON and the light switching is instant when the relay is triggered - no more lag.
Thanks again.

This thread is marked as solved. An answer might not be needed anymore.