Mixing pixels

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day PatCoop, so long as the different brands are compatible there won't be an issue, eg WS2801's cannot be on the same line as WS2811's. Watch out for differing voltages too.
For me I bought someone else's display this year and so on an F16v3 I'm running both WS2801 and WS2811 but on different ports without issue.

PatCoop

New elf
G'day PatCoop, so long as the different brands are compatible there won't be an issue, eg WS2801's cannot be on the same line as WS2811's. Watch out for differing voltages too.
For me I bought someone else's display this year and so on an F16v3 I'm running both WS2801 and WS2811 but on different ports without issue.
So generally speaking,as long as they are the same voltage and same type(WS2811,etc) they should be fine? Would there be any difference in colors of the pixel strings?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
There may very well be, I'm not sure as I haven't done any tests side by side of my stuff.
To the average Joe on the street they won't notice but as the creator of the display you're going to see that one pixel with a blown blue LED in a matrix of a thousand pixels.
I think of things like this as, your spectators will be viewing a forest, not the trees.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Something else to consider is if they are all the same colour order. Some may be RGB colour order and others could be GRB for example.

While not a show stopper, you will have to account for the different colour order somewhere, either in the controller config or the sequencing program.

Generally it will be easier if all pixels for the same prop are the same colour order.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.