MORE than half a million Christmas lights have been switched on in Canberra, sma

924aussie

Full time elf
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/act-house-shatters-christmas-lights-record/story-e6frfku9-1226767359604

NATIONAL BREAKING NEWS
  • MORE than half a million Christmas lights have been switched on in Canberra, smashing a Guinness world record for the largest number on one house.
The Richards family in Forrest have turned on more than 500,000 lights, eclipsing the 346,283 displayed by a family in LaGrangeville, New York.
David Richards said on Sunday the effort was aimed at raising funds for SIDS & Kids ACT.

burner

Full time elf
Would be nice if the reporter actually took a photo to display it.......

penguineer

Full time elf
Kane said:

Guinness are pretty particular about verifying their world records - so having one or two million bulbs may not count unless particular criteria are met.

This article has photos: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/richards-family-in-forrest-strings-500000-christmas-lights-for-charity-20131122-2y1xg.html

Guinness World Records Australia representative Chris Sheedy will visit the house on Sunday to look at delivery dockets and tradesmen's records, all legally verified, to ensure all the lights have been delivered and erected. ''I fortunately don't have to count 500,000 lights,'' Mr Sheedy said, with a laugh. The record will also have to be endorsed by Guinness in England.

Note that this is a record for a residential premises and there may be limitations on commercial involvement and other things also.....

Cheers!

kane

Dedicated elf
I suppose to become a guiness record they'd have to apply to be part of it.

Not trying to be negative against the Canberra house though - looks like they raise a good amount for SIDS - I've decided to also raise money for SIDS this year (in addition to PMH the local kids hospital - I have tins for both)

DavidR

New elf
Hi guys
I ran into Fast Eddie in Sydney tonight programming the lights. He convinced me to logon and admit to the record in Canberra. Attached is a photo of my driveway.
DavidR