Mounting (Silicone) for brickwork + Coro on driveway

link1111

New elf
Hey guys,

Have dived into this for the first time this year but having a bit of difficulty with two things: 1. the mounting of coro onto brickwork / garage. 2. securing mini trees onto the driveway without tipping over

I have purchased cabletie mounts (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00DFZREGK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) without adhesive, roughened up the back with sandpaper and then used Parfix Silicone / Adhesive from Bunnings as per the recommendation from their staff and waited the 48 hour cure time and the clips just failed one by one and they are just held up by string now.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a better silicone / adhesive as a potential removable option to scrape off from the garage / ? (I tried searching the forum and no brands are names except once for 3M industrial silicone). Or would you not recommend it and use more solid fixation e.g. liquid nails (prefer to have something I can easily remove though). Extra points for a quicker cure time!

The things that I will be mounting will be 5 singing faces (four smaller and 1 singing tree), 4 x 24" stars, showstopper with ~700 globes. So was hoping to see something that will give some extra security based on the mounted objects.

I have small/medium/large coro minitrees that I am setting up on my concrete driveway and was hoping to get ideas on how to secure them to stop them from toppling over from the wind? There is no grass nearby to secure it to which I would just use a stake + PVC . For the large tree I have put a cross cabletie and slipped in an old tile to weight it down but doesn't look like it'll be feasible with the smaller ones. Does anyone similarly have any ideas / things that they have done to secure these?

Thanks in advance!

jfinneganva

New elf
Hey guys,

Have dived into this for the first time this year but having a bit of difficulty with two things: 1. the mounting of coro onto brickwork / garage. 2. securing mini trees onto the driveway without tipping over

I have purchased cabletie mounts (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00DFZREGK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) without adhesive, roughened up the back with sandpaper and then used Parfix Silicone / Adhesive from Bunnings as per the recommendation from their staff and waited the 48 hour cure time and the clips just failed one by one and they are just held up by string now.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a better silicone / adhesive as a potential removable option to scrape off from the garage / ? (I tried searching the forum and no brands are names except once for 3M industrial silicone). Or would you not recommend it and use more solid fixation e.g. liquid nails (prefer to have something I can easily remove though). Extra points for a quicker cure time!

The things that I will be mounting will be 5 singing faces (four smaller and 1 singing tree), 4 x 24" stars, showstopper with ~700 globes. So was hoping to see something that will give some extra security based on the mounted objects.

I have small/medium/large coro minitrees that I am setting up on my concrete driveway and was hoping to get ideas on how to secure them to stop them from toppling over from the wind? There is no grass nearby to secure it to which I would just use a stake + PVC . For the large tree I have put a cross cabletie and slipped in an old tile to weight it down but doesn't look like it'll be feasible with the smaller ones. Does anyone similarly have any ideas / things that they have done to secure these?

Thanks in advance!
I’ve attached cabletie mounts to brick and roof shingles using polyurethane caulk, after trying several other methods. It worked for me, but I wanted a permanent attachment. Maybe they can be pried loose; I haven’t tried. Cautions:
1. Appears to be permanent. Good for me, maybe not for you.
2. This polyurethane caulk is thick! Hard to squeeze out of the caulking gun, especially when cold.
3. Long curing time - maybe a week.

Good luck!

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hot glue works very well in attaching things to brick in a semi-permanent way and comes loose with alcohol. My plan was to use hot glue and washer on the bricks and magnets on the props. Hot glue does not work in cold weather and I never found one rated for cold so I just went with adhesive zip-tie pads. The pads hold up fairly well and I only had one come loose last year so I used more this year. We will see what happens.

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of points mounted to stucco with hot glue. I use a 3d printed bracket designed for magnets so I have a flat surface and attach that to the wall. It's gotten down as low as 16 f here and they've held through 60mph wind gusts. I have found that some hot glue sticks just don't work, so I use Arrow brand 1/2" glue sticks.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I don't use those type mounts, I use the square ones that come with a sticky backing but I peel that off and use silicone from Bunnings. Works fine on brick for holding up conduit with pixels attached for vertical lines. I do the same on the roof tiles.
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufzj8ksf9qzohhu/cabletie%20mount.JPG?dl=0

link1111

New elf
I don't use those type mounts, I use the square ones that come with a sticky backing but I peel that off and use silicone from Bunnings. Works fine on brick for holding up conduit with pixels attached for vertical lines. I do the same on the roof tiles.
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufzj8ksf9qzohhu/cabletie%20mount.JPG?dl=0

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I tried hot glue for my old dumb waterfall lights and they failed in quite a few places as well. And the polyurethane sounds like a good long term plan but I don't know how long we will be in this house before we move/sell which is why I was hoping for something reversible.

Out of curiosity @djgra79 is there a particular brand of silicone that you used?

Maybe I might end up trying silicone and reinforcing with hot glue as well

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I tried hot glue for my old dumb waterfall lights and they failed in quite a few places as well. And the polyurethane sounds like a good long term plan but I don't know how long we will be in this house before we move/sell which is why I was hoping for something reversible.

Out of curiosity @djgra79 is there a particular brand of silicone that you used?

Maybe I might end up trying silicone and reinforcing with hot glue as well
This one, handy for sealing strip etc as it's neutral cure so not electrically conductive.

Also plus 1 for the brick crabs, I use them for heavier items. Can only be used if you don't have mortar that is flush with the bricks though.

link1111

New elf
Thanks mate. I used the same Parfix one. Sounds like it may be my operator error then. My mortar is flush with the bricks so that's why the brick crab won't work for me :(

Sounds like round two with the Parfix if not we are going to give the polyurethane caulk and go to the other extreme!

I'm regards to securing the coro on concrete driveway, did anyone have any ideas please?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm regards to securing the coro on concrete driveway, did anyone have any ideas please?
Sand bags assuming just temorary. Otherwise if not planning on moving house for a while, some type of bolt into the concrete system?