Moving Heads and CASA

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
For those just wondering about the legalities of having moving heads with aircraft around. Below is the response I received from CASA.

I live only 5km's away from the Gold Coast airport, so I wanted to give CASA a heads up that I will be using them for a month of the year. I also work at the airport as a pilot, so I will go up to the tower and pay the guys a visit to let them know as well just in case they wish to publish a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen), to advise pilots of a light display in the vicinity out of courtesy....and so I'm not getting reports.

Dear Daniel Renwick,

The CASA Guidance Delivery Centre has been experiencing a very high volume of enquiries and as a result enquiry processing times have been significantly longer than usual.

Please find the response to your query below:

Further response: Regulation 94 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) – Dangerous Lights is the legislation applicable to high-powered lighting displays in the vicinity of aerodromes or air routes. This legislation, which is generally applicable to both laser and non-laser displays, does not require CASA to issue an approval or permission to operate a lighting display, but it does empower CASA to serve notice on the operator of a light that is likely to endanger the safety of aircraft. This notice may require the light to be turned off or screened or for the operator to cease displaying the light.

Generally, a ‘moving head’ light would not present a hazard to aircraft operations at Gold Coast aerodrome. These lights have relatively wide beam divergence and the exposure time for aircraft flying through a moving beam would be minimal. However, you should ensure that the lights are not directed towards an aircraft, and you should turn off the lights if this is not possible.

It is unlikely that a NOTAM would be required because of the distance of the display (5-6 kilometres) from the aerodrome. It is suggested, however, that you send details of your display to Gold Coast Air Traffic Control at Coolangatta.Tower@AirservicesAustralia.com for their information.

This guidance is current and accurate at the time of receiving this notification, and is subject to change over time at the discretion of the policy holder which may impact the accuracy of this information.

If you require further clarification relating to this matter, please reply to this email and quote the reference number CASE ENQ-22-137322.

Best regards,

Guidance Delivery Centre

CASA\Aviation Group
e:
regguidance@casa.gov.au
www.casa.gov.au
1649831266846.png1649831266863.png1649831266880.png1649831266897.png