Mucking around with first pixel string and rpi-28d+ Not having any luck.

kenfab

New elf
Hi

I have setup a Raspberry Pi 2, with the Rpi-28d+ on top. I have FPP installed on the Pi and I tried to get it setup as per some guides / youtube videos, but they were slightly different as the software looks a bit different now. I have a 100 pixel ray wu string plugged into the first (middle ?) ws2811 port on the 28d+.

I now cant for the life of me get the pixels to do what theyre told. First problem, I managed to get the first 20-24 pixels to light up randomly, but they would change around. Then (I think) I managed to get the rest of the pixels to light up, but the first 20ish were still doing their own thing.

Ive now changed so many settings and the pixels do light up, but they just go through a random range of lighting up however they want.

Ive tried running a test sequence on FPP on its own, test sequences from xlights (through bridge mode), i made my own 100 pixel straight line sequence on xlights, uploaded it to FPP and ran it, none of these actually control the pixels.

Ill upload some screenshots shortly, but this has got me stumped.

Thanks

Ken

kenfab

New elf
FPP Screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 19

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Hey Ken,

suggest you reset everything back to factory and use xLights to setup the hat using the visualiser - it’s a game changer.

Im fairly certain the instructions on Hanson’s site follow the process well now as it’s been updated recently. The only ‘new’ bit might be FPP and if you use xLights correctly, that won’t matter.

you will need to push (upload) input and output settings to the controller and ensure you’ve selected the correct protocol (Ws2811) and you should be in business. Only possible thing that could be out is the order of RGB and you can select this once you know what order your lights operate under.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
That looks like you are using the new fpp beta 5.0. It's entirely possible you have found 1 of the broken bits in it. Try installing fpp4.x.

kenfab

New elf
Hey Ken,

suggest you reset everything back to factory and use xLights to setup the hat using the visualiser - it’s a game changer.

Im fairly certain the instructions on Hanson’s site follow the process well now as it’s been updated recently. The only ‘new’ bit might be FPP and if you use xLights correctly, that won’t matter.

you will need to push (upload) input and output settings to the controller and ensure you’ve selected the correct protocol (Ws2811) and you should be in business. Only possible thing that could be out is the order of RGB and you can select this once you know what order your lights operate under.

definitely going to factory reset I think, Ive played with so many settings now, will try the xlights route, thanks

kenfab

New elf
That looks like you are using the new fpp beta 5.0. It's entirely possible you have found 1 of the broken bits in it. Try installing fpp4.x.

ah that old chestnut, downloading 4.6 now, Thanks!

kenfab

New elf
Great pickup there @AAH, I was convinced it was something I had done wrong, about 8 hours of reading forum posts and guides, changing settings, back to reading, and many swear words before my first post.

test sequence from FPP worked straight away, ran my test file also which worked fine.

Thank you so much, this rPi-28D+ is great!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Great pickup there @AAH, I was convinced it was something I had done wrong, about 8 hours of reading forum posts and guides, changing settings, back to reading, and many swear words before my first post.

test sequence from FPP worked straight away, ran my test file also which worked fine.

Thank you so much, this rPi-28D+ is great!
If you picked up something that's not listed on the FPP5 beta thread can you share your experiences on Falcon Xmas on the beta thread. If the developers don't know something it won't get fixed. I haven't actually installed FPP5 as yet so I didn't know that was broken. I've only actually followed bits of the FPP5 development as I'm waiting for them to get to a stable (ish) release so I can redo the manuals ago.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.