multiple modules as 1 pixel

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm looking at creating some lanterns/candy poles to line my driveway. I only want the top to light up and for sequencing I only want to treat it as 1 pixel as well. I don't think 1 module will give me enough light though.
What I was thinking was to wire up the modules with the same date line coming in, but only 1 module would have a data out to send to the next lantern.
LANTERN 1 PIXEL.jpg
I'm not sure if this will work and cause any errors in the data

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
a result like that would be better configured in your software. I'm not sure if the pixels would be happy with that wiring setup.

What software do you use?.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I use LSP. I know I can do it in the software using the layers but was just thinking of simplifying that process.
I started thinking of the idea after seeing Coxies presents but he used dumb modules and I wanted to keep to my pixel controllers and smart modules I already have. Try and keep things the same so I don't have to have as many spares if something goes wrong

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have tested this and it worked fine for me. I was limited to the number of channels on the controller and needed to do something similar to you and have more light but not waste the channels.

I notice you have the output power and ground of the extra two modules connected, this is not required as its not providing any data out. Just connect the power, data and ground to all three modules then all three of the first module to the next element.

mborg10

Michael Borg
the reason I have showed power coming out of the module was so that if I needed to I could backward power inject as I plan on making lots of these.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
If you backwards power inject then the modules will still get power from the one side. There is no difference between the input power and ground or the output power and ground they are joined together. So still no need to add these wires as you will still get power in both directions.

mborg10

Michael Borg
gnarmstr said:
If you backwards power inject then the modules will still get power from the one side. There is no difference between the input power and ground or the output power and ground they are joined together. So still no need to add these wires as you will still get power in both directions.

Ok cool, sounds good then. Just means less wiring and soldering for me.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I use LSP. I know I can do it in the software using the layers but was just thinking of simplifying that process.
I started thinking of the idea after seeing Coxies presents but he used dumb modules and I wanted to keep to my pixel controllers and smart modules I already have. Try and keep things the same so I don't have to have as many spares if something goes wrong

I wouldn't even do it in a layer. you could just change the channel numbers to all be the same for the sections that you want to be the same.

adski

Dave Brown
You can possibly achieve your end result by "grouping" in the configuration of your pixel controller. Then your modules are just wired in the standard manner.

Bonus is that if 3 modules are still not bright enough, you can set the group size to 4 or 5. No rewiring required - just use more of the modules in the string.

Dave

battle79

Full time elf
If you have J1sys controllers you can set them up do this for you.

You can make it group pixels, so one pixel data from PC runs 2 (or 3, or more) pixels along any given output.

I'm looking at this as an emergency precaution in case my channel count is too big for PC/software.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would just treat them still as individual and do what was suggested and set them up either as individual elements or in layers. This way you can treat each lantern separate but you can also do some other nice effects like a twinkle or even a mini chase with in the light if you keep them individual and only use the software to manage it.

It will allow you to be more creative with your effects

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm looking at using 90mm storm water pipe with a milky white globe, maybe 150mm on top with the modules in the globe. Prob 4 or 6 modules in each globe. 1 universe could give me at least 28 if wired in series or 170 if wired in the diagram. I guess I'll have to figure out how many I need. I'm guessing maybe 60 odd

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
What you need is a 3 channel Pixel to RGB controller :D
That way each cane would be 1 pixel but you could hook up what ever dumb RGB nodes you needed in each cane...

May not be the most cost effective way though.

Or unless channel count is an issue just hook them up normally and sequence the 5 or 6 nodes for each cane the same.