Multiple power supplies on mega tree

cdjazman

Full time elf
[SIZE=small]I am setting up my mega tree (that i purchased made from another member)[/SIZE]
[/size]
[/size][SIZE=small]I have moved the three power supplies from seperate masters weatherproof bozes and am mounting into a spare B&R box my neighbour had. I have mounted the p/s onto a piece of board and have reconnected the wires.[/SIZE]
[/size]
[/size][SIZE=small]The issue I have is that a V- wire from p/s 3 to p/s 2 is getting very hot. I have reconnected the wires the same as they were. I am not sure where I am going wrong.[/SIZE]
[/size]
[/size][SIZE=small]Any help would be appreciated. I have attached pics to hopefully help.[/SIZE]
[/size]
[/size]

Attachments

• power supply 1.jpg
    power supply 1.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 98
  • power supply 2.jpg
    power supply 2.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 80
  • power supply 3.jpg
    power supply 3.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0654.jpg
    IMAG0654.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You have 3 350W supplies there and at a rough guesstimate the wire coming from the 30A supplies might be good for 7.5A each. It's a bit had to work out wire sizes and it's pretty much impossible to work out where they are routed. Can you draw up a mudmap of how things are connected.

cdjazman

Full time elf
It is strange as it is the same wire used for all of December last year. See attached diagram which I hope makes sense.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437810873909.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437810873909.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 102

cdjazman

Full time elf
I am using P12R controller.

I have run in test mode and all pixel strips are fine.

It is just the wire heats up now.

i13

Dedicated elf
Don't turn these back on or make any changes until someone confirms this.

I think you might have swapped two of the wires on the mains input of one of the power supplies. This could be dangerous if I'm right or dangerous if you make changes and I'm wrong.

Please get someone electrically qualified to verify that it is correct in person before turning it back on; there may even be other ACL members nearby.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Oh crap..... I hear you.

Any members in bayside south east Melbourne - Aspendale Gardens that would be willing and able to help.....?

AAH

Good call on the swapped wires I13. Yes there is an active and neutral swapped on power supply 3. It's not exactly unsafe though. Best to swap it though.

I still can't work things out from the mudmap but I did notice from the 1st photos that the 1st 2 power supplies have 2 connections to each of the + and -. Power supply 3 has 3 to - and 1 to +. I'm thinking that the hot wire is the 1 that may be in - and not -.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Power supply 3 is for power injection.

I am not sure what you mean with active and neutral swapped.

AAH

Brown wire is active/line/L
Blue wire is neutral/N
Power supply 3 has the brown and blue in the wrong places.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Oh....... I will get right onto that.

Could that be causing overheating of the wire?

AAH

It won't have any affect on anything. The active and neutral are interchangeable really.
On the first lot of photos which is the wire that is getting hot and where is that meant to translate to on your mudmap?

cdjazman

Full time elf
The hot wire is from power supply 3 to power supply 2. From V- to V-