Multiple Switches

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
As always happens the show magically grows and this year my network swith is 3 outputs short so I have added an old smaller one to my main one but cannot ge it to work.

I have set it up as follows computer --- main switch --- last output cable to input on small switch..... BUT no data is going to smaller switch..

Is there something I have missed? Is there something I should set up in LSP?

Steve22537

Full time elf
What are the models of the two switches your using, most smaller sub $100 switches (Unmanaged) are not IP specific. Some older switches have a dedicated "Uplink Port", newer ones don't care.

Steve

penguineer

Full time elf
Have you tried the smaller switch on its own(make sure it functions)?

Also, what about switching the switches around(daisychaining the big switch from the small one). Note that this might work but could be a performance hit(if the smaller switch is a cheapie).

What about trying different ports on the two switches?

Just some ideas.....

Cheers!

damo1271

Full time elf
When you say no data is going to smaller switch are you talking about E131 or IP connection in general? That is, can you ping anything connected to the smaller switch?

gerry

Senior elf
is your first switch just a switch or a router too ?

Can u try connecting your computer to a port of the second switch (instead of to the first switch) and see if it makes a difference ?

So
Port one of new switch goes to old switch .

Computer goes to say Port 2 of the new switch.
Other controllers go on Ports 3-nn of new switch , plus ports of old switch

I had the same issue a while ago and have used this config. Not sure exactly why it should make a diff , jumped into chat, this was suggested. When it worked , I did not go back to try the older way which is what you have now.

Beacy

The signal is E 1.31

They are both straight switch boards I dont use a router for the display computer the main and newest on is a Netgear FS116 the other one is a dinosaur . If I buy a new /additional switch being the Netgear GS108 will/ should it just plug & play? I beleive that boith these are "Unmanaged"

If not what do I need to do?

multicast

Senior elf
do you get link lights up on both ends of the cable that goes between the switches

Steve22537

Full time elf
If my memory serves me correctly, the FS116 ports are not auto detect, in the day switch to switch required a cross-over cable, the FS116 it has a "Uplink Port" and a switch to change the port direction. If you went with a newer switch you shouldn't have any problems.

Steve

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Dang, Steve you beat me to it :eek:

Yes older switches and even some newer ones need x-over cables as they do not auto detect.

-Blu

Beacy

Am I correct that if i use th fs116 as my main and the GS 108 with a cross over cable all should be sweet?

Steve22537

Full time elf
Beacy - Am I correct that if i use th fs116 as my main and the GS 108 with a cross over cable all should be sweet

When those two products where first released the standards where all over the place. You should be able to use the Uplink Port (Port 16) and have the Uplink switch pressed in. With the GS108 I think it may be a little smarter than an "Unmanaged" switch. Do you have a router, if you do plug both devices into that.

Steve

Beacy

I do have a router BUT a number of years ago we tried that and was a disater so not going there again just dont have the time to mess with it. so between the 16 & 8 cross over or not?