Music preference

As a Christmas light show viewer, what type of music do you prefer?

• Total voters

nato595

Let's do this!
Please take the poll, but be in the roll of a light show viewer, not a programmer.
I prefer a small amount of remixed Christmas music, with a majority of non-holiday themed music. Now I need to know the preference of my viewers - YOU!

Thanks!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive always preferred to make a music mix because i find that this keeps the audience engaged for the whole duration of the song as there are no repeats of chorus's and this allows a song mix to have very different sequencing through out the mix, so it allows a lot of variation. It allows me to start slow and build up to a climax which gives the audience the best experience.

vincerules

Full time elf
I love this idea! I've never thought about doing a mix of Christmas songs as well as mixes of other songs.

I like this a lot. Thanks for the idea!

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Last year I did individual songs but this year plan to make a mix. I prefer to predominantly keep the music Christmas themed with perhaps the odd non- holiday bit of music for fun.
Can't speak from a lot of experience though as this is only year 2 :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
Last year I did individual songs but this year plan to make a mix. I prefer to predominantly keep the music Christmas themed with perhaps the odd non- holiday bit of music for fun.
Can't speak from a lot of experience though as this is only year 2 :)

The great thing about a mix is you can use Christmas songs an then throw in a favorite non Christmas song or 2 into the mix, that way you still keep the Christmas theme but it also adds some freshness to it by using some of the years most recent hits.

vincerules

Full time elf
Re: Re: Music preference

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
The great thing about a mix is you can use Christmas songs an then throw in a favorite non Christmas song or 2 into the mix, that way you still keep the Christmas theme but it also adds some freshness to it by using some of the years most recent hits.

What software do you use/recommend to make the mix with?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Re: Re: Music preference

vincerules said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

What software do you use/recommend to make the mix with?

I use mix miester fusion pro, fairly easy to use

remoteutah

Full time elf
I thought I would toss my $0.02 in (before taxes, licence, fees and inflation).

First off, I use Sony Acid Pro 7. I like the things that can be done with it. I know several mashup artists that use it too!

Second, speaking of mashup artists... I know a couple of them. They release their work as "Promo Only" to avoid any copyright issues in various countries. I have permission to use ANY work produced by one specific mashup artist, DeeM. The agreement for use is that I have to let him know what song I am using (to be sure it is HIS work and not something he compiled with others) and to give him a link to the FINISHED production video, so that he can use it for his own promotion. So it is a win-win! I need to talk to him about making a Christmas mashup very early this year, but not release it until Christmas. That way he can use my light video as the music mashup video.
Here is a sample of his work that I am thinking of using in a "special" new years eve light show using all mashup music.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/148940027/DeeM-Youdon%27twantthelight.mp3
and here is a link to him on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DeeM-Official-Fanpage/257209802777

Lastly and back on topic... Tammey and I have picked a "theme" for the music of our Christmas light show this year. She will be mad at me for even hinting! So without saying exactly WHICH artists/songs we are using, our theme is "A Celebration of Voices" featuring 95% acapella music that will be mixed and at one point remixed.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just did a mix of three dance style Xmas songs using the Djay app on the iPad and it worked pretty well. (just thought I'd mention another alternative that can be done on the iPad)