My 1000th post

mborg10

Michael Borg
I thought I'd make my 1000th post about why I have 1000 posts.

I like most people started off a newbie a few years ago. I was overwhelmed with the info but had a drive to make a display that I would be proud of and my community could enjoy. I asked lots of questions and lots of stupid ones, but that's how I learned. Most of the questions I asked, the answers are actually in the 101 manual. Sometimes it's hard to see what's right in front of you if you don't know what your looking for.

Last year was my first year with pixels. Spent a lot of time in team view with benschristmaslights (formerly Yagoona lights) getting my display to work. What seems basic now was so frustrating back then. FYI I'm a proud LSP user and my display is ws2811 dc12v pixels with j1sys controllers.

This year I was comfortable and confident enough that I got everything working and sequenced relatively easy. Yay me. My display is now focused on my charity "Christmas at the Myrtle." Which raises funds and awareness for the Crohns and colitis association of Australia. I have severe Crohn's disease and have had over 20 operations. I also have treatment at the hospital every 8 weeks to lower my immune system. My show is now my way of giving a little back and showing others affected by Crohn's that life isn't always bad.

I was also lucky enough this year to use Minleon lights in decorating 4 other houses and look to expanding that in the coming years.

Someone once asked Albert Einstein his phone number. So he got out the phone book and looked up Einstein. They asked can't you remember your own number. He replied I don't have too because it's in the phone book. ACL is that phone book for Christmas lights. So I figure even if I write something that seems trivial someone might want to read it later. Even if it's wrong, I hope that someone will correct it and steer myself and others in the right direction.

ACL is a community where the knowledge comes from its people and everyone has something to offer.

Without getting all sentiment CLAP is an addiction but sometimes I think ACL is a bigger addiction.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
gnawww, That was lovely.
Thanks for being part of this community yourself Michael.
Congratulations on your 1000th post. You have havea lot of input into ACL yourself by asking the questions others sometimes dont think are impotant.

dale82

Senior elf
Micheal that is such a humble post. I too was like you last year and also received a lot of help from both Superman and Benschristmaslights (Formally Yagoona). its fantastic that a community like ACL can really bring the best out in the community and people like yourself give so much back to the community. I too offer what limited knowledge that I have with this hobby but none the less we are a community that helps each other out. Congratulations on your 1000th post!

Cheers
Dale

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Congrats Michael.
I too am thankful for all members who have helped me over the years, no question or query is too dumb/small/unimportant. <group hugs>

buzzdude

Full time elf
Great post. As someone still learning I always search the forum, thinking, perhaps hoping, someone else has had the same problem\question that I have. To you and those for asking that question no matter how silly you may think...... I thank you. It makes my learning sooooo much easier.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
One of the best posts that I have read on ACL. It is well worthy of the 1000 post milestone.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Well done Michael, reaching 1000 worthy posts, i look up to all you guys, knowing you all started just where i am and have built up some very amazing displays and you are more than willing to answer the stupid questions i may ask, thanks for all your help and advice

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Dale you bring a tear to my eye. this is what makes this group people that share and help.

good to see it flowing through the group

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Interesting 1000'th post. I don't have anywhere near that number so I appreciate those that do. :)

Oh and that's from someone who has been living with Crohns for 25 years now.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Congrats Michael not only for the 1000 posts but living with a disease that can be so debilitating but also using your skills to raise money for such a worthy cause and i know i have had a bowel resection for diverticulitis and spent alot of time in and out of hospital with a few crohns sufferers Mate you are the true version of what we call the Aussie Battler ( never giving up even when things get hard)

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Great post and great reminder. My first year I did a lot of just reading and learning but didn't really contribute. This year, my goal is to be a more active member like you and so many others and share what I can. As you say, it's great how others will correct or add to so that we all learn. It truly is a community.

Bird

LOR user
Congratulations on 1,000 posts Michael.
You made a very nice post as well.
I also have said many times how great these folks are.
Always willing to help give others CLAP :D
I don't have the technical confidence to help others but I try to help with other suggestions and ideas.
The bigger the community gets the better the help gets, although it was amazing with less than 1,000 members, now it's overwhelmingly great how much help a person can get.