My 2014 large matrix

ShellNZ

Senior elf
This year I have 5v 2812B 4000px matrix.

The dimensions are 80 vertical lines of 50px.

I have sectioned them off as shown into lots of 18 + 18 + 24 + 20. Each section has its own power supply.

They are being run by Pixlite using 14 ports. Each port can do 2 universes, in this case each port will be running 300px.

I have drawn the image below to give a sample of the wiring, it doesnt show all the wiring as the picture would be a mess. I have injected power after every 2nd strip also backfeeding.

The power supplies are grounded 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.

The pixlite is being powered from Power Supply 1.

I have wired together groups of 2 +ve's and 2 -ve's and wired them to fusebox and -ve of power supply directly.

IMG_2313_zps4328bd06.jpg

There are now 2 sections which I have still left to fix as unfortunately it looks like I have some dodgy strips, 3 replacement rolls are being sent.

Can anyone see a problem with the grounding or anything else?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The pic and description confuses me a little but there must be a common -ve between all power supplies that are connected together. There should be a break in the +ve's from whatever runs on 1 power supply to what runs on the next 1.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yep Alan, the +ve's are seperate.

I have sectioned them off as shown into lots of 18 + 18 + 24 + 20. Each section has its own power supply.

So 18 +ve's are going to PS1, 18 to PS2 etc etc.
18 -ve's are going to PS1, 18 to PS2 etc etc.

The wire Im using can definately handle it, 15A to each slot on fuse box, the fusebox being powered by a single short 60A wire to power supply.

The power supplies are grounded by having a wire between them all as mentioned. The ground from controller just goes to the first strip of each section.

GND/Data from Pixlite to first pixel of Strip 1
End of Strip 1 - start of Strip 2 joined by Data/-ve/+ve
End of Strip 2 - Start of Strip 3 joined by Data/-ve/+ve
Power injection into Start of Strip 3 from appropriate power supply so its backfed.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Can't wait to see this massive behemoth run ;)
Sorry you are having a bit of trouble getting it working, but I know you will figure it out 8)

Not that it is a board configuration issue, but I would try balancing your universes evenly. It might be easier to troubleshoot in the long run.

Cant wait to get my board to mess around with.

-Blu

AAH

The only real problem that I can see is that there is no photos or video :p

ShellNZ

Senior elf
::)

Unfortunately Im having a lot of trouble trying to get 3 of the sections going.

I am reusing last years 24 strips (of 50px), ordered some in January, then realised I wouldnt have enough so ordered more last month.

I have it feeling its the 3 different batches that is the problem as I hook it up to pixlite, nothing. Have triple-checked all connections, all fine. Assume its a dead pixel, cut it off, wire up to next one....nothing.

Earlier today I the the same thing but instead of cutting off the first pixel I just soldered the wiring to next pixel. Nothing. So I went back to first one again, worked.

Have no idea whats going on with these strips but Ray is sending me 3 replacement rolls, fingers crossed that helps and doesnt make it worse if they are from another batch.

Its like something is killing the first pixel. I have tried 6 different lengths of 50px on each of the 3 runs that I cant get going (sections 4/6/9). None of them work, hard to believe. Cut off first pixel, still nothing.

AAH

Those little $3 2811 testers are brilliant for testing 2811 pixels/strip. They take the software and E1.31-SPI board out of the equation.