My 8m tall mega tree in testing phase

Gray_magic

The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!
cant wait to get this on for more than just testing... the wifey is getting sick of me playing with my new toy.. ???
539041_10151900102105809_1786534750_n.jpg

Gray_magic

I finally fixed my issue with the random colour through the tree. thanks to all those on the chat room for the brainstorming. ended up being a combination of speed and data run cables being too long. here is the finished product tested and ready to go for the end of the year. the only thing left to test is its storm resistance.

Quote from: barbotte on Today at 10:13:00 AM
what do you used to support the pixel ??/ strapping
lokking nice

[/color]

I used clothes line cord. It works a treat. Steel cable core so i can tension it up and a silicone coating so the zip ties i used to attach to the cord doesnt slip. it also insulates so as not to cause a short. cheaper than rope or wire too. i didnt want to use strapping because i thought it may block some of the pixels from view from the wrong angle. it turned out alright i think!

here is a short vid of the tree spiralling... now to start sequencing this into the show...
https://vimeo.com/72334006

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Hmmm Storm resistance had a bit of experoience in that last year 2 words of advice --- Guys Cables---- & lots of them

Gray_magic

Beacy said:
Hmmm Storm resistance had a bit of experoience in that last year 2 words of advice --- Guys Cables---- & lots of them
i have 6 guys at the moment... 3 at top and 3 half way down. i have 2 from the top secured to 450mm sand pegs driven into the ground and the others tied off to tree stubs around the mega tree. I'm sure hoping this will hold up as I dont think I can get any more on the top.

how many guys did you have for last year and is you tree the same as mine or bigger?

Beacy

mine was 7.5mt high 4 off the top & snapped in half 2 days later - rebulit with 4 in the middle as well and survived but constant tensioning was required

Gray_magic

What was the mast made of? Mine is 100mm down pipe. I am blessed though to have some experience putting ⬆ masts as I install tv antenna's and tv's for a job. I contract to the same company as Steve aka superman. I am cringing at the the first big storm that comes through Brisbane still. ???

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I was going to ask if you had stays half way up as well. they would be more effective then having them all at the top as it very much might just fold in half.

Gray_magic

Funny you say that Steve, because the day after I put it ⬆ I still had not got time to put the middle stays on. The tree had developed a mean bow from the 30deg day we had. They middle stays went ⬆ that afternoon and now she seems pretty sturdy and has been standing proud...for now. :) Lets hope it stays that way.

Gray_magic

Beacy said:
I had a ebay flagpole this year am changing to 3mm gal fence post
I was contemplating steel for strength but I live on top of a hill and I really didn't want a lightning rod infront of my house.

Beacy

I live on the top of a hill too ....hadn't thought of lighting could and some new effects to the show.

Might just buy 10 lightning rods and save the work load