My first Coro element

Gilrock

Full time elf
Using eddy's Coro cane instructions I made my first one last night and it turned out really great. The only thing I did different is I didn't want to glue the front panel to the wires so I glue'd 3 small 3/4" squares of wood on the botton and then screwed the top panel to that. I might try to find a slightly different way to mount the front panel because there was a slight bit of shadowing where the wood pieces are. My wife doesn't think it will matter when viewed from a distance.

So then I decided to try a Coro star. I marked a piece for 2 stars and cut out the first one. Then I scored it and started to fold it just to see what it would look like. That's when I realized maybe I hadn't scored it on the rights sides. I had scored every line on the same side because I didn't read the directions. So now that I've read the directions and saw the post about cutting 2 flutes to make a 90 degree bend I think I can make that first one work out anyways.

For making the bends I'm really not sure why it's all that important to have the cuts on the inside. It bends so much better if the cuts are on the outside and since we are spray painting the outside black, sitting it in the yard, and viewing from a distance why would it matter how pretty the edges look?

The last thing I realized is I really gotta get one of those magnifier lights for soldering...the last five years have been really bad on my eyes...lol.

Thanks,
Gil

Gilrock

Full time elf

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
the reason for cutting the 2 flutes, is to reduce sharp lines
it also makes for a better looking star,
look at the top part of the star, see how you cant see the lines

IMG_0153.JPG

now here is one without the double cut
looks much uglyer
corostar0.jpg

ive put the info on my make here SmartAlec Lights CoroStar

hope that helps

Gilrock

Full time elf
Ok I'm a little confused. The instructions you linked say to cut on the inside of the bend but the 2nd photo you said is ugly looks like the cuts are on the inside. So are you really cutting the 2 flutes on the outside of the star?

Thanks,
Gil

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I always cut mine on the outside when painted black no one other than you would know how or where you've cut it. We are sometimes our worst OCD critics the people come to look at the display they are amazed at it in its overall look they will not be looking or even know to look at the facts and issues that wee look at

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ask those who have seen my candy canes in daylight, they dont look the best during the day but they look great at night. We are always much more critical on ourselves than what others will be.