My interest is on garden lighting

Hyperman

New elf
Hello

Looks of great information here!

My main interest is in garden lighting using ELV (12 volt) as I want to keep it completely safe from risk of electrocution

My home system consists of 12v DC power supply (300w) and then either warm white or RGB spotlights that are set to smooth fade between colours

I'm amazed at the variety and low cost if you DIY using most items purchased off ebay

One of my challenges is waterproofing connections and I have three methods for exposed connections;
  1. Using Electrical Screw connectors placed inside small plastic pill bottles and fill with silastic for three way connections
  2. Using Electrical Screw connectors placed inside single 20 mm junction box and fill with silastic for four or more way connections
  3. Use of Heat shrink insulated butt connectors with internal fluxed solder ring followed by heatshrink with insulation glue to provide further layer of waterproofing
Definitely interested in other peoples approach

Couple photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_4708.jpg
    IMG_4708.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL @Hyperman !
Wait until you see addressable pixel flood lights here :) , I'd love backyard lights to be smart phone controlled.

A few people here have used addressable RGB pixels in garden lights, but anything Addressable requires a controller of sorts. At this stage I see you've got standalone lights.

To answer your question, not side tracking to pixel lighting like most of this website is:

I don't have any lights in my garden, but I did make this fountain a few years ago;
IMG_20210321_152447602.jpg

I used this watertight junction box with terminal block inside;
Capture.PNG

These are cheap off Aliexpress and can vary in size: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001807705427.html

I installed this in 2017 and it has lasted well. I can't find the link for the one I have on eBay though.

Hyperman

New elf
Hi Mark

Thanks for response and suggestions. Good looking fountain!

The lead cable I use is figure 8 and not sure if these junction boxes will prevent water ingress and tightened grommet may not seal 100%

What type of cable is yours? Flat, round, figure 8, mixture?

Cheers

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
The lead cable I use is figure 8 and not sure if these junction boxes will prevent water ingress and tightened grommet may not seal 100%

What type of cable is yours? Flat, round, figure 8, mixture?
The input cable is flat, and the output is 3 round cables.
The cable glands screw down to tighten the rubber ring. This has been submerged under water at times when the area floods.

These screw glands are under the term "PG" and then a number for size. E.g. PG8 is common for mains extension lead size cable. I think the number goes off the American Wire Gauge (AWG) system, lower number is a bigger connector? [Citation please]

Well here goes nothing..... I hope...
First time I've opened this since I installed it...
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
The input cable is flat, and the output is 3 round cables.
The cable glands screw down to tighten the rubber ring. This has been submerged under water at times when the area floods.

These screw glands are under the term "PG" and then a number for size. E.g. PG8 is common for mains extension lead size cable. I think the number goes off the American Wire Gauge (AWG) system, lower number is a bigger connector? [Citation please]

Well here goes nothing..... I hope...
First time I've opened this since I installed it...
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.
Just a word of caution regarding the nylon locking glands from Aliexpress, the ones I have used in the past (and now cease to use because of this) have no waterproofing gasket between the enclosure/thread and the rubber seal inside is sub standard to anything i've ever purchased locally (that has to comply to standards in NZ) and thus allowed water to enter over time. You may have been lucky and gotten some good ones, but the crap ones do exist.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Just a word of caution regarding the nylon locking glands from Aliexpress, the ones I have used in the past (and now cease to use because of this) have no waterproofing gasket between the enclosure/thread and the rubber seal inside is sub standard to anything i've ever purchased locally (that has to comply to standards in NZ) and thus allowed water to enter over time. You may have been lucky and gotten some good ones, but the crap ones do exist.
My ones don't have a rubber ring between the gland and case. It's just a very tight fit.
I'm running 12v as well, so I'm not too concerned.