My second 'introduction' post!

cleefy

New elf
I'm Michael, and I planned on having a crack a few years ago, and other than ordering an rPi-28D + Pixel Tester from Alan, I never got around to much more. I think I posted a introduction message back then, but I figured it's been so long I might as well do another.

My wife and I built a new home not long after I joined these forums and I put the lighting plans on hold for a bit. I'm in Newborough, Victoria.

Fast forward a few years, and just recently I received my first power supply, 1000 bullet nodes, and some pixel strip.
On the way are some mini canes + larger mini trees.

I've ran all 1000 pixels through the pixel tester to check them, and they're all functional. 😃
EDIT: Should have said, I've gone with 12v pixels, which I'm going to run at 30%, I tested outside last night at about 9:45pm and it was plenty bright!

So my plan for this year:
  • Outline 3 x Front Windows
  • Outline Garage Door
  • Outline Front Door
  • 4 x Mini Trees,
  • 4 x Mini Canes
  • and if my pixel supplies allow, I'll also attempt 3 arches.
I've got my first two window frame props built yesterday, and tested via the 28D. The 28D is talking with xLights via bridge, but long term I will plan to move to a Falcon F16 I think, and upload a schedule to FPP.

I have a background in IT which has helped me get going rather quickly, I think!
I've also been watching a tonne of Keith's xLights seminar videos. Fantastic resource, would love to send him some money for a coffee to say thanks!

This is my rough layout - the polyline on top follows the facade of the house which is a bit hard to see with the lowered brightness - and the pixel counts currently in xLights aren't 100% correct:
1631854026953.png

What I'd love is some advice for attaching pixel strip (either on conduit, or otherwise) to brickwork without doing too much damage - this is the only area my wife isn't negotiable on - whatever I attach to has to be non-permanent, or has to blend in if it stays! Was contemplating cable tie-ing to cable tie mounts which should be obscure enough even if permanently glued.
1631854173211.png

I'd also love to hear what FM transmitters people are using in Australia - are the Fordray ones still the way to go?

Cheers, and looking forward to learning from the awesome community here!

Last edited:

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome (again!) to ACL :)
Those cable tie mounts I use on my roof tiles and also brickwork around garage to hold conduit in place that has chromatrim and pixels attached. I just used silicone to hold the mounts in place and let them cure for a day or 2 before applying anything to them.

As for FM transmitters, there's a number of options and lots of threads already on this here: https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/fm-transmitters.78/
For what it's worth, I'm using an EDM transmitter and it's been rock solid for 5 years so far.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
The question of securing to brick without damage was brought up in the xLights zoom room the other night. people has successfully used high temperature hotmelt glue for this. They said it comes off using isopropyl alcohol and does not leave any residue. they discussed hotmelt gluing large metal washers and using magnetic standoffs. You can glue a rare earth magnet to the standoff and stick that to the washer.

This was the provided link:

You will need to use a high quality heat gun with it though.

magnetic stand offs:

Also, brick clips:

Good luck, I'm thinking of giving the hotmelt glue a go myself.

cleefy

New elf
I ended up giving the cable tie mounts a go, just with some strong double sided tape for a test.
I'll silicon them on per @djgra79 's suggestion in the long term.

Worked well. Leaving it up until dark so I can run some more tests.

Just need my pigtails to arrive so I can make extension leads between props.
In the meantime I'll keep pushing pixels into trim!

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
Assuming those cable tie mounts have the adhesive back, remove the adhesive with a razor blade and use some clear silicone to mount to the brick. The adhesive strip they come with is useless(it will come off). Worked on vinyl and stucco, assumed would work on brick too.

cleefy

New elf
@uncledan yeah they sure did. I used that adhesive for now for a very quick test (it held up, temporarily), but I have a tube of clear silicon ready to go for the mounts come Christmas showtime!