Network help

scamper

Dedicated elf
This isn't exactly xmas lights, But I did buy this for security of my lights (and my house the other 10 months of the year.
I purchased a generic NVR wireless security camera kit, Plug and play they say :eek:

I have set up the box and managed to hook that up to through the router.
But the cameras just don't seem to be anywhere to be found.
The lights come on and if I wire them into the router, the yellow light flash's.
But the box does not find them, and I can't even find them on my network.
Basic question first.
All of the ip addresses are in the range of 10.0.0.?? and there are many.
but the cameras have 192.168.1.100 to 104 on them.
Should I still see them on my network?
Has anyone set one of these up that can point me in the right direction?

I tried to search the web, but all of the information expects that it should just work, and any help on network expects you should know what you are talking about to start with.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You will need to have them on the same network range. 192.168 and 10.0 ranges won't see each other. Someone at the Melbourne mini did tell me it was possible to configure your pc to talk to both ranges but I didn't get to find out how as I left my lappy behind on the 2nd day of it.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks, I did read somewhere something similar.
I will see if I can workout how to setup another network as I dodn't know how to change the cameras at this stage.

cozbert

Full time elf
my guess is that if you changed your computer ip to 192.168.0.xxx then opened an internet browser and went to one of the camera addresses you would be able to change the IP in the camera.

has worked for me previously

franky_888

Full time elf
cozbert said:
my guess is that if you changed your computer ip to 192.168.0.xxx then opened an internet browser and went to one of the camera addresses you would be able to change the IP in the camera.

has worked for me previously

Cozbert is right on the money here.

Might be best to note down the IP range you are using (IDK whether you're using 10.0.0.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or 255.0.0.0 - it matters), and either assign the cameras and the NVR itself addresses within the same range (static IP) or create address reservations for them on your router.

You don't want these addresses changing like a computer, otherwise they could drop off the NVR and your blinkies won't be recorded! :'(

dfarcher

New elf
Definitely need to be on the same subnet for them to see each other, without changing subnet masks, which gets a bit complex on an everyday home network.

Either change the IP addresses on your router and PCs to match the cameras, or the camera IPs to match your existing network range.

damona

Full time elf
A lot of routers default to a DHCP range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.253 with the router being 192.168.0.254

Could you run
ipconfig /all
and paste the output.