New 12V smart pixels

Barnabybear

New elf
Hi Al, I’ve linked the data sheet below. I don’t have any of the pixels to test but from the sheet:

• If you lose 1 led out of the RGB does the pixel go dark with no colours shown or does it just show the other 2 colours.
From the drawing on page 8, my take is:

If just Red was supposed to be on – no output.

If Red and another colour was supposed to be on – the Red would not light, the other colour would light at times that Red was not on i.e. if Red was 25 and Blue was 50, when the Red and Blue where due to be on nether would light but when only the Blue was due to be on it would light. The result being a Dim Blue (25) as opposed to Red (25) and Blue (50). There is also the stagger output to take into account later on page 8. So even if colour was supposed to be Red (25) and Blue (25) there would still be a time where Blue still lit when the Red finished its time period (which it started before Blue).

• With the data backup does the next pixel process it's own data or does it process the data from the previous "dead" pixel. In short if you have a matrix or similar do the lines stay in sync with 1 pixel missing or does the missing pixel cause everything downstream to shift 1 pixel.
Page 5 & 7.

“When the external control data is transmitted, SDI uses the 1-24bits received data as the display data, meanwhile,SDI2 will discard the 1-24bits data and use 25-48bits data as the display data.”

It looks like it skips the whole pixel.

• On power up how long is it before the internal test function starts up and does it require the data signal to be open circuit, 0V or 5V to start the test signal.
Page 9.

“GS8208 gets into RGB test mode right after power on. If the device does not receive the external display data for a long time, the chip will go into the built-in display patterns mode.”

“Under the internal display mode, the first chip’s SDI/SDI2 needs to be connected to GND.”

• Related to 3. Will the pixels resort to a test signal if they don't get a valid WS281x type signal for a given amount of time. This can be important if pixel controllers don't send data out at all times.
See above.

• Does each chip produce the test signal or does the first pixel that doesn't see data and it gets sent out along the data lines?
Not clear from data sheet but from this comment and a synchronisation point of view you would think that it has to be the first pixel.

“Under the internal display mode, the first chip’s SDI/SDI2 needs to be connected to GND.”

• If the first pixel produces the test signal is it sent out in a WS281x type signal?
Not clear from the data sheet, it could just be a single sync pulse.

• The GS8208 runs off the same data signal as WS281x. Can the GS8208 be daisy chained in with WS281x pixels with the WS ones before and/or after? Worldsemi screwed around with their WS2811 timing and I was wondering if that has any effect on GS8208 pixels.
Page 6. The WS281x data signal exceeds the the minimum (T1L) and maximum (T0H) requirements of the GS8208 format so they should be fine running from a controller outputting WS281x or following WS281x pixels that use the NEW 300uS reset timing.

From a controller or WS281x pixel running the OLD 50uS reset timing, in most cases I suspect they would operate correctly but this is not guaranteed. Whilst the controller may only be catering for a ‘reset’ LOW of 50uS, because by default the WS281x data line is LOW, if there is no data to send, a ‘reset’ LOW of greater than 50uS it produced. However in the case of high frame rates (40FPS) and long pixel strings 500+ dependant on when the data arrives, there is no guarantee that there will be additional time added to the 50uS to reach the 300uS required to trigger an update. In general whilst appearing to work fine most of the time in testing, whilst out in the show a delay in E1.31 packets arriving could cause random freezing.

The GS8208 data signal does not conform to the WS281x specification.

Part of signal as percentage of time-----WS281x-----GS8208

T0H------20%-----25%

T0L------80%-----75%

T1H------48%-----75%

T1L------52%-----25%

Zeros aren’t far out and may be within tolerance but the ones are a mile off. I’m not sure that Ws281x pixels following GS8208 would work or be a good idea without a lot of testing.

• If you have the RGB brightness all set to 5 (out of 255) for instance is the current 18mA or closer to 1mA
I don’t see anything on the data sheet that suggests that the current draw is anything other than 18mA regardless of the output level, one for testing.

Last edited:

Dreamin

Full time elf
Not sure what anyone else is selling them for or what his non Ali price is like.
Notice in the description is says "one bad node does not affect the other nodes'working" which is a bit of a selling point. Especially for people that want to load a port up for max pixels. Wish I had bought some to try now! lol

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
I was looking at these for my Mega tree, less power usage, no need for power injection etc. I thought the slightly higher cost was offset by less power supplies needed and easier wiring. When I went to place the order this is the response i got "the GS8208 pixels has design and quality issue, not very good". I then decided to go 5V with power injection so I am not not bringing the power grid down when I fire up my mega tree.

nightflyer00

James
Will these even work with current Falcon controllers and xLights or is a firmware/software upgrade required?

marmalade

cats & pixels
Alan, your link below shows AU$32.31 + $21.56 shipping = $53.87 for 100 nodes. ~54c/node? Where are you getting 23c from?

otherwise.. WS2811 12V 100 nodes AU$22 = 22c/node.

Its nice to save power but the difference in psu requirements won't offset that kind of cost.

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Alan, your link below shows AU$32.31 + $21.56 shipping = $53.87 for 100 nodes. ~54c/node? Where are you getting 23c from?

otherwise.. WS2811 12V 100 nodes AU$22 = 22c/node.

Its nice to save power but the difference in psu requirements won't offset that kind of cost.
Doh. I was quoting the US dollar price.
Freight is going to be the same regardless of whether they are GS8208 or WS2811. I'm not even going to look at the Aliexpress freight numbers as Ray will generally beat what's listed on there.
$US23 for 100 GS8208. $US15.83 for 100 WS2811. A $US17 12V 360W power supply will max out at 545 12V WS2811 pixels or $US3.10 in power supply per 100 pixels. The same $US17 power supply will run 2000 15mA GS8208 pixels or $US0.85 per 100 pixels. Comparing the 2 without power injection which the WS2811 will need well before the GS8208 it works out to $U16.68 for 100 powered WS2811 versus $23.85 for 100 GS8208. If you want to factor in some power injection cabling and the cost of freight for power supplies etc it will bring the 2 down to almost the same price.

It's also slightly unfair to compare the GS8208 4 wire data backed up pixel with an ordinary WS2811. It's more comparable to the WS2818 which is $US21 per 100. A fair portion of the extra cost of WS2811 vs GS8108 and WS2818 is the fact that the 1st 1 has 3 wires and the other 2 have 4 wires.

marmalade

cats & pixels
Based on experience, Ray has always been considerably more expensive than even the average cost vendors like sage, maxtronics , btf etc. I've tried many times to ascertain why so many people use him without success. But that's another thread altogether.

Not sure why you are using US$15.82 as a cost calculation comparison for the 2811, when I plainly linked they can be had for US$10.39. (and much less in quantity).

And the cost should be shipped to your door, as many vendors purposely decrease the price of the items to make it look cheap, and then offset it with an insane freight cost.

So will have to disagree on your numbers, but agree it's great to have an alternative in led tech.

I have only one concern, in that they go into test pattern mode on power up if no data is received (using power). Obviously keeping them off or in standby when not in use requires 0's to be pumped through them. To be fair, some ws2811's display colours on power up as well though (emi issues?). Would really like to see how the 8208 front end handles long data runs compare to the ws chip, in addition to it's better refresh rate & lower power consumption, that could be a decent reason to upgrade.

Last edited: