New Computer dedicated to my lights

Baf05

Full time elf
Will out this here as I don't know where else it should go.

I have just bought an ex-lease computer from gum-tree, the idea being I can sit it in my workshop and run my lights from it. I can also set it up for testing things as I build them. It will then be used at Christmas to run my display.

The issue I have is, it came with no operating system, and I don't know how to load one up.

Can I buy the $10 licences keys from ebay and download windows? Then how do I make a not disk! (I have read about the process but not 100% sure)

Or do I just buy the who thing from Harvey Norman and chuck a disk in that way?

Any advice?

scamper

Dedicated elf
https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

I would look for a computer that has been thrown out with a windows sticker on it and install that version. i am sure it is probably more difficult than that being windows, but I can imagine there are plenty of ways to get an older operating system for free or very cheap.
For xmas lighting we don't need the latest and greatest operating system so it doesn't need to be windows 10.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Baf05 said:
Will out this here as I don't know where else it should go.

I have just bought an ex-lease computer from gum-tree, the idea being I can sit it in my workshop and run my lights from it. I can also set it up for testing things as I build them. It will then be used at Christmas to run my display.

The issue I have is, it came with no operating system, and I don't know how to load one up.

Can I buy the $10 licences keys from ebay and download windows? Then how do I make a not disk! (I have read about the process but not 100% sure)

Or do I just buy the who thing from Harvey Norman and chuck a disk in that way?

Any advice?

Just another thought.... Did the computer you purchase come with a windows COA label/sticker on the side of the unit?

If it has then you can install that version of windows.

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

buzzdude

Full time elf
To load the operating system (os), is there at least a hard drive (hdd) and and DVD drive? If there is you will need to obtain the os probably, win10, from the Microsoft site or buy it and burn it to a dvd using another computer. You can install without a key for the moment. Once you have the disc, insert it into the DVD drive, turn on the computer and basically follow the on screen instructions.

That's a high level install instructions, but you may come up with different problems, not trying to discourage you,.

Shane

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Lishfish

Full time elf
Windows 10 is free and can be downloaded onto an external hard drive and then you should be able to boot up the computer off of it

Baf05

Full time elf
Turned out to be a massive headache. I got Widows 7 from eBay and tried to boot from USB, and that failed, then transferred the file to a boot CD, that worked, but was not working well and having start up issues.

Then had to find drivers for the network card, did that in my main computer transferred to USB then to new computer, this took about 4 hours of my morning ultimately using the key from my old and broken computer Thanks scamper and cdjazman for that idea.

I then found away to get Widows 10 for free through Microsoft, down loaded that started the install and the system crashed and would not restart.

SOOOO then I had to reformat the hard driving using my main computer and start from scratch. 5 hours in...

I then spent the next two to three hours trying to get the system to boot via CD but some how the drivers would not run the CD drive past Windows start up screen.

I had previously tried to boot from USB by creating a bootable USB with out success. I did a bit of google searching and found a program called "Rufus" which creates bootable USBs for you, I did that and transferred the Windows 7 operating system on to that USB.

Put that USB in the new computer, and off it went, had to re-reinstall the driver for the network card, and used the old key from my broken PC again, and it all worked!!!

Went to the Microsoft site and upgraded to Windows 10!

Literally took me all day, but its now working, and will go into my workshop so that I can test and run my light show! Was a huge pain, but I guess worth it in the end!

This is the link to the free Windows 10 upgrade. its for people who use assisted technologies, but never asks you to show that you actually do. (sorry I don't know how to neaten the link up)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()