New display element - Santa Sign

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Looks good Steve.
Any details your willing to share on how you built it. I'm assuming that there is coro and tint tubes involved.

Habbosrus

Back again
AAH said:
Looks good Steve.
Any details your willing to share on how you built it. I'm assuming that there is coro and tint tubes involved.
Hey Alan, I was going to take photos as I went along but completely forgot about it.
I made the pole backing out of 5mm corflute (I have cables ties inserted through the back to form a loop for ease of attachment/erection at Xmas). I partially cut through and bent the sides around to form the back and sides. I think this adds a lot of strength. I used 2.5mm black corflute to make the partitions in the pole, between the words in the sign and around the outside of the sign. The front of the pole, sign and globe at the top is 2.5mm white corflute (this is the recycled corflute I picked up last year from the local member of parliament). I used these LED modules. Each partition has one module. SANTA & PLEASE have 3 modules and STOP & HERE have 2.
I raided my wife's scrapbooking stuff and found the letters to make the sign. I glued them lightly onto the corflute and then put 2 coats of red spray paint on it.
I connected my male and female connectors together for power and ran a data line back through the sign to the female connector if I choose to add something after it.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
So the pole and ball actually have flat front faces?

Habbosrus

Back again
AAH said:
Yep, that's correct. I made this very similar to the way I made my candy canes last year. Tint tube would look great for the pole. I used materials and lights I already had here as I've been out of work for the last few months. I just had to use the old noggin to try to create something. I was in a good mood after being offered a job on Friday, so put my artistic cap on over the weekend.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
That looks really good. Might have to "borrow" 8) that idea for this year.

arw01

Full time elf
Looks great, I will have to copy it too onto my matrix, a few message of Santa Stop Here on there would be a nice between shows filler..

Habbosrus

Back again
Kaden said:
AAH said:

Wow! it looks round in the video, does it look like that in person?
The crappy video probably helps to make it look like it's round. My candy canes looked round from a distance in last years show. I had a lot of people asking if they could check out the canes during my 2013 show and they were amazed when they got up close and even more so when I told them how I made them. I'm pretty happy with the way the sign turned out. I made a couple of mistakes while making it, but it's hard to tell. I impressed my teenage boys and their friends with the sign and that's not an easy task :eek: