New Kid on the block - Looking for some verification

PaulCans

New elf
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been loitering around for a couple of years and this year was told that seeing I spent so much time reading on this site I better have something good for Christmas.

I've probably gone about this back to front but being a self employed IT consultant I started from where I was most comfortable.

I've taken heed of everyone's comments and have utilised and old Netgear FW114G Router to keep my lights separate from my home / business network.

So from a network point of view this is the plan.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• Network.PNG
    Network.PNG
    670.8 KB · Views: 72

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Looks okay to me. Without knowing what the capabilities of FPP 1.5 will be you may not need to have the PI. As the FPP will be running FPP already it may have the processing capabilities to do your entire show including the octoscroller and P10 panels.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The bbb doesn't have native audio output and needs usb audio, the Pi2 as master for audio and general show duties makes sense, with the BBB set in slave mode running the panels

Wish i could layout network diagrams like that :)

gerry

Senior elf
Other than you probably don't need the wireless connection between your computer and the show Router (ie I'd probably use a direct connection to upload the sequences and media to the BBB and PI FP) , it looks good.

How are you planning to connect the show router to the home router (eg LAN to WAN ports ?)

Also , are you planning to use Unicast or Multicast ? (I am curious)

My setup is very similar except that currently I have a USB Wifi on the PI to connect to the home router (to get time from the internet) and have not (yet) connected the home router to the show router.

PaulCans

New elf
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't like single point of failure so the Pi and BBB will both be present. If the BBB can take over form the Pi in the future all the better.

The connection on the show network is on the WAN port. This is on a VLAN which only has internet connection on the home router. No traffic is allowed from one network to the other. Hence the wireless connection on my desktop to allow transfer of files, config etc.

That said using xlights is there a way to direct traffic onto the 192.168.3.x network from the desktop for testing? I've not seen anything in the software so far.

I'm using multicast for the time being for simplicty sake though that may change if load becomes a problem.

andrewa

Full time elf
PaulCans said:
That said using xlights is there a way to direct traffic onto the 192.168.3.x network from the desktop for testing? I've not seen anything in the software so far.

I'm using multicast for the time being for simplicty sake though that may change if load becomes a problem.

If you change to unicast, you can then specify the 192.168.3.x network for each device

gerry

Senior elf
PaulCans said:

As long as your desktop can see the 3.x network , yes. You can set the FPs to Bridge mode and simply click on the 'Output to lights' icon in xLights and test from the sequencer itself. But your E1.31 traffic will then be over wireless and u may see a lag.

I do the above , however the only diff is that I have the xL dev laptop hardwired into the show router when I want to do this (and I turn my laptop Wifi off)

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
The IT advice I'll give is have a look at the Mikrotik Routerboards / RouterOS and then get rid of the draytek & netgear all together.

I'd also loose the wifi link from the PC and just route your LAN -> Christmas traffic with your router :)

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome59.gif