New Modem/Router

drakky

Senior elf
Hi everyone
I have a question regarding modem/routers I'm possibly switching telephone and internet provider and the new provder Business Telecom suggests that I should try 4G internet as he thinks I can get speeds of 120 mb/s unlimited for $70 a month, I'm on ADSL2 now paying $100 month for 1200 gig,
I need the modem/router to be future proof as the NBN will go over next year , I'll be going on fixed wireless, I'd prefer the unit to be a sim card type not a dongle though that's not a deal breaker and would like at least 4 ethernet ports on it,
so it has to be ADSL , 4G capable and NBN ready,( if the 4G is unreliable I'll switch back to ADSL)

does anyone know of what gear is out there than can do this, I've rung a few computer shops hey seem to be a bit confused or don't know

thanks in advance
Matt

Kitman

Full time elf
Most modem routers these days support all of that and have had for some time, it just depends on what you are exactly after.

I recently had to change over my modem router as my previous one died which already supported NBN but because it has taken so long for the NBN the modem gave out before the NBN has arrived. Some modems will have a sim card slot so it can do the 4g connection itself, however others just have a USB port that you can plug a 4g dongle into, that same usb port can be for a printer or hard drive or other things too but will depend on the modem.

As for fixed wireless the NBN will install 2 pieces of hardware on your property, an external antenna and an NBN box which has 4 ethernet ports for various things, you then simply connect your modem to the ethernet port on the NBN box and your connected, so the same modem for fixed wireless can be used for FTTH or FTTN NBN as you will have an NBN box that you connect your modem to.

Now it comes down to brand of modem, do you have one in mind that you want? I am using an Asus modem now, previously had a Fritzbox, and before that Netgear modems, other people swear by billion stuff it really depends on how configurable you want it to be.

drakky

Senior elf
Most modem routers these days support all of that and have had for some time, it just depends on what you are exactly after.

I recently had to change over my modem router as my previous one died which already supported NBN but because it has taken so long for the NBN the modem gave out before the NBN has arrived. Some modems will have a sim card slot so it can do the 4g connection itself, however others just have a USB port that you can plug a 4g dongle into, that same usb port can be for a printer or hard drive or other things too but will depend on the modem.

As for fixed wireless the NBN will install 2 pieces of hardware on your property, an external antenna and an NBN box which has 4 ethernet ports for various things, you then simply connect your modem to the ethernet port on the NBN box and your connected, so the same modem for fixed wireless can be used for FTTH or FTTN NBN as you will have an NBN box that you connect your modem to.

Now it comes down to brand of modem, do you have one in mind that you want? I am using an Asus modem now, previously had a Fritzbox, and before that Netgear modems, other people swear by billion stuff it really depends on how configurable you want it to be.

to be honest I'm partial to Belkin stuff , I've been using it for probably 20 years and only had 1 fail

drakky

Senior elf
forgot to mention speed of the router is really irrelevant I guess I have Ruckus enterprise wifi access points 10 of them that are 802.11n speed located all around the place with a zone director controlling it all in a smart mesh system so that everyone can get wifi on the property 5 acres in size

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Do you mind sharing the 4G internet provider. I doubt any of the major providers will offer unlimited 4G LTE data. I've seen 3 companies do it and they only lasted 12 months before they went broke.

NBN fixed wireless is pretty bad at times (Use to work for a fixed wireless company) as they really don't take into consideration environmental factors they just install and and point it in the tower direction. So if you have no trees you can get around 60mbit or if you have trees you could be stuck with 5-10mbit and 50+Ping.

Regarding a device that can interconnect multiple WAN options down the track just go with some router that has the USB 3G option the only down side is you are limited to USB2.0 Speeds (unless it has a USB3.0 port) or aim up for a 4G all in router with an ethernet port and configure your NBN router as a DHCP client. http://www.netgear.com.au/landings/nighthawk-mr1100-mobile-router/

Or go overkill and have multiple racks for your house and use all enterprise gear? (2/3 being built).

http://jacks.tools/gallery/uploads/big/95b03557b331644a03f05192d94026df.jpg

Thanks
Derf | Jack

drakky

Senior elf
thanks Derf , it's an Optus product I believe, but not sure it's available as a standalone product , I'm getting the pabx upgraded (about $12k worth) at the same time with 4 phone lines , 3 digital handsets , it's part of a package, the guy said I can either buy the modem/router myself he will allow me $300 for it included or they can supply 1

damona

Full time elf
Keep in mined 4G is like wireless network, everyone shares the connection back to the tower.

brainless

New elf
4G also has more latency that fixed line services such as Adsl/vdsl (FTTN) etc and this can make it feel slow as bandwidth is not anything.
http://au.billion.com/bipac-8900ax-2400 this would do the trick but the VOIP provided on NBN Services is not a generic SIP service and you will most likely need to move to a provider supplied device if you dont want to do anything fancy to get NBN VOIP in the future.

drakky

Senior elf
yes I'm aware of the sharing , but no matter what I won't be getting fixed line nbn it will fixed wireless the nbn has already told me that , funny on the other side of the road they have fixed line nbn but I won't get fixed wireless for 12 months
my current ADSL is reasonably slow already as I'm quite a distance from the exchange