Full time elf
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a Raspberry PI 2 B+.
I installed the latest Falcon Player.
Now on my monitor it says

raspbian GNU/Linux 7
Falcon Player OS image v1.5
FFP login

Is this right? Is this the final stage of installation?
Do I need login details?

I don't have my PI contacted to the net. I was under the impression I would have user interface on the screen where I could step up and run schuduled shows, test lights etc.

Is there a way of doing this locally without doing it through the net?
Is there another program/interface available to achieve what I want?

Thanks again
Cheers

battle79

Full time elf
The standard way to log into FPP is to use another computer and open firefox (or chrome) and type in FPP in the address bar at the top, or type in the IP address of the unit (obtained by other software, or logging into your router and looking at connected devices).

If all you have is a laptop, then a crossover cable might be able let you connect directly to the Pi.

As to what is available from the FPP login, I've never used it, but hopefully others might have more info.

Best of Luck,

Kitman

Full time elf
There isn't really much you can do from the Linux login page of the FPP, this is simply the operating system that runs on the Pi which enables a web interface where you configure and setup the Raspberry Pi.

After you have installed the FPP on the Raspberry pi you can disconnect the monitor and the keyboard and mouse and simply interact with the unit via ethernet or via wifi if you have a wifi dongle plugged in.

There is a login and password for the FPP but you would generally not use it ever unless your like me and try to include some extra features that aren't really required but I wanted to have.

As battle79 said you just need to load up a web browser and point to the ip address of the Raspberry Pi to see the web interface to start configuring it.

i13

Dedicated elf
It may well have all of the features that you want but 1.5 is not the most recent version.

Madko

Full time elf
Ok thanks for your input.

The way I wanted to setup my Raspberry Pi was to be able to set up my program (vixen 3) and run it directly from the Pi. The way I have being doing it in the past was using my laptop and using the scheduler with the sequencer software to run the show. This year I waned to substitute the laptop with the Pi.

As all of my setup is in the garage and no internet access without running a cable or getting a wireless transmitter, is there a way to installing vixen 3 directly onto the Pi and running the scheduler playlist from the Pi?

Cheers

dpitts

Apprentice elf
Vixen 3 barely runs on a 3Ghz+ computer with 16Gigs of ram and the supported channel count for Vixen3 is extremely low with the best of desktop computers. It would not even begin to run off a 1GZ machine with 1 Gig memory even if the PI could run Windows which it cannot.

You can put an Edimax wifi adapter in the PI and connect via wireless from your computer to the PI.

i13

Dedicated elf
The Pi can play your sequences that you made on your PC but it won't run Vixen itself.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i have a 3.2ghz quad core with 4gig ram.. not the best machine.. but vixen3 just controls one e1.31 device <10universe's, an thats only is test mode..
they say there rewriting the engine to make it work better an that i have too many channels for them to care about.
so i sequence in vixen with all controllers switched off in the software, then export it to the FPP player.

Vixen3 might look nice, but there not bothering with new effects or anything like that for 6-8months.
if it was'nt for the FPP being able to play my show.. i would'nt be able to have a show..
(good thing you can convert vixen3 into the fseq format for the FPP to play)

if your new to learning, go xlights, they have more effects an more support

also remember FPP is only v1.5, it updates via the webpage interface (currently v1.7)

Madko

Full time elf
Some interesting ideas to consider!
I have been using HLS for the last 3 years and just have changed over to Vixen 3. I'm just finding vixen 3 to be more user friendly. HLS has been good to me however a change maybe good.

I'll also look at xlights since it's still early days into the year! But we all know how fast Christmas comes around!

Cheers

scamper

Dedicated elf
I use vixen to do all of my sequencing, then export the sequences and songs to a usb memory stick. (when you go into the export section, there is an option to export to Falcon Player)
Then you plug that into the Pi and log into the Pi via the web interface and add the songs to your playlist.
It works perfectly and you are then free to use your laptop to continue sequencing or whatever you want to use it for.
As far as a laptop not having enough power, that is true in that it will bog down the more you do, but when you export it all is good.

Madko

Full time elf
Sounds good.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find a simple procedure how to connect a wireless dongle to my pi?

Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I can't remember if there is any further process required but I'm pretty sure that when I did mine it was just a matter of plugging in a WiPi dongle and powering up. FPP will find the dongle and announce the IP it has assigned. I think you can then log into FPP and make it a static IP if required.

Madko said:
Sounds good.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find a simple procedure how to connect a wireless dongle to my pi?

Thanks

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
Madko said:

If it is a supported model, all you have to do is plug it in, boot the Pi up, and then go to the FPP network settings page and configure the SSID and passphrase along the any static IP if you wish to use one. Configuring wireless is similar to configuring the wired interface except the wires has the two additional fields for the wireless security.

Make sure you do not try to run both wired and wireless on the same subnet and also only put a gateway on one interface and not both.

Madko

Full time elf
Cheers

I plugged in my Dongle and powered up. I can seem to find where the IP address for my Pi is.
How do I find the IP address of my Pi, providing the dongle is a Plug and Play!!