New to RGB with a couple questions

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Hi all. I am going to start building an RGB display for the holidays and thought I would just get some basics on my house for this christmas and once I have gone through the growing pains this year that I would make a bigger investment next year. I thought it would be easy but after reading and not understanding a lot, I realized its not an easy thing to put together. I have learned a lot from this site so far and I wanted to thank all the contributors..

As with many on here I was hoping to hear advice and ask for help on a few things.

I have a total of 21m I am trying to run on the eaves of the front of my house under the gutters on the facia. I ordered 6 of these LED strips ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/568458133.html ). I think I am only going to use 4 strips on the eaves and just be short 1/2m on both ends of the house since there are gutter downspouts on both ends that would block the strips anyway. The 20m is broken into three sections below:

[smfattach]1[/smfattach]

I may use the 2 other strips to put on posts on the 5.5m area going down to the ground but if I have to do big changes with power to do that, then I prefer to forget those right now just to get the lights on the eaves done first.

Now that you know my goal, I was hoping for some advice and some help. I have not ordered a controller, power supply or cables yet and was hoping to get some input from you. My thoughts were to get a SanDevices E682 controller which should leave me room for expansion next year. I was actually going to get the PS1 system they have which has the E682, 350watt power supply and waterproof case. I still don't know the best placement or issues I may run into. My biggest worry is power problems. I don't get all the math involved and want to wire it properly. The PS1 system has pigtails installed and they say they also sell the wire at SanDevices but they don't mention price. My alternative is just getting my own wire like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPYRJM/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13N3FA2JEF4B8VE5HMYX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

I was hoping to get some advice on what I should do or things I should avoid or even tell me I am doing something wrong before I do it :)

Thank You for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL, firstly you have come to the right place! One thing I have learnt is there is always people here to help. I use a p12r from J1SYSTEMS for my strips, and it works well! I also use LSP for my software

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
What is the typical lowest voltage I should see at the end of a strip before I need to do injection?