1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

New to this all....

Discussion in 'New Members Say Hello' started by AussieChris, Dec 25, 2014.

1. AussieChris

AussieChris New Elf

Hey all.

Hope you've all had a great Christmas and your wonderful displays have been worth it.

So, I am planning for 2015 as I have said in previous posts.....

I have read "the bible" which is a fantastic package of notes posted on here somewhere...

Really dont know where to start, I really need some one on one guidence, I basically want a set to music display

Now I understand that its a wide world I am attempting but I am getting more more confused about what system to build.

Thank you for your ongoing help,

Chris

2. nzlongfellow

nzlongfellow Dennis from NZ

Find Me On:
    Welcome.
    This is my thought process.

1. decide where you will display.
    2. decide what you would like to focus on, eaves, trees, windows ... the "fixed" features
    3. decide on what extra "models" you want ... mega trees, arches, mini trees, candles the list is only bounded by your imagination.
    4. determine a budget
    5. determine if you have, can learn or can get access to the skills needed ... soldering, swiping a credit card, cutting and gluing Coro board, building models, did i mention using the Credit Card.
    6. Determine how many channels are required [or can be afforded]
    7. Select sequencing software.. LOR, xLights/Nutcracker (my choice for now), LSP to name a few
    8. Learn sequencing, networking,
    9. select hardware, controllers, network switches, laptop, wifi requirements, etc etc
    10, consider the impact on the neighbors and neighborhood .... do you need traffic management

most of all ASK thru the chats and the forums..... ;)

3. kel

kel Dedicated Elf

[​IMG]

4. gerry

gerry Senior Elf

Welcome to ACL !

I suggest (first year) : Start with the software , one or two elements , and the supporting controller , PSU and accessories. Order now , build it , test it , ask lots of questions , then order the next lot.

Repeat process until September. hen focus on what u have and getting it to work properly..

5. firebug

firebug Senior Elf

Welcome to ACL Chris... 8)

6. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    It is a difficult hobby to understand at first and can seem completely overwhelming at first. You are not the first one to feel this way at first, most have been there. But with some persistence, questions, reading and rereading then before you know it the pieces will start to fall into place.
    One good way to learn is to plan to be at your local mini meet which is held around June and to also see someone who lives nearby who can show you some hardware.

Its definitely not easy to start with but there is a great community willing to answer your questions and you have given yourself plenty of time to learn to get a show up for 2015

7. Eastwood16G

Eastwood16G Full Time Elf

nzlongfellow may have got it in one. As a newbie this year, I'm not sure that will have helped you.

I don't do a 'show off' musical sequence. I just put out a timed sequence that adds a little impact to the street with a few features that get kids dancing.

I use Vixen 3, a JS1 P12S and two DMX36 which control about 2000 pixels and many legacy (BigW/Bunnings) LED strings.

Get into chat. This link is for introductions, but ask questions under other topics in he forum. I have found ACL will give great guidance. R

8. logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    If, like me and many many others, you are not an electrician and very new to all this stuff, it can seem a bit mind boggling. I'd agree with Gerry's post and start small in the first year ( I did) and get to grips with the software options, hardware options and then concentrate on a relatively small number of elements at first. You are starting nice and early in the year so will have a good amount of time to start building up your display for next Xmas. It can be a good idea to NOT go hard out in the beginning and end up investing in a lot of hardware that you might quickly outgrow i.e. don't buy a ton of dumb RGB lights only to find in year two you want to replace them all with smart RGB lights ( pixels).
    And of course there is a ton of info and help from the ACL community with people willing to answer even the most basic of questions without making you feel silly ( after all we all had to start from the beginning at some stage). This was my third year and I still feel miles behind in knowledge compared to many here but have still been able to put together displays I am proud of and that have put smiles on many faces in the lead up to Xmas.

9. mangoat

mangoat Full Time Elf

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=5460.0 <----that was my first ever attempt at this stuff. it was a success.

start middle of the road, ask lots of questions, and run with it all.

just remember, everyone here started out the same way you are. with or without electrical knowledge, there is someone here to give you advice if they can.

regards and happy lighting,

goat

10. lizardking

lizardking IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT

Find Me On:
    i am in my first year too from info i received i am going pixels straight up and the other piece of info i recieved was to go to google maps screen shot a pic of your house and start designing then workout what lights you want to use and how many then you can work out what and how many controllers and power supplies you need

11. dale82

dale82 Senior Elf

Welcome to ACL

12. bpj1980

bpj1980 Full Time Elf

Welcome to ACL, enjoy this years planning, you have plenty of time... :p

13. AussieDoug

AussieDoug Full Time Elf

Welcome to ACL, let's hope the overload of information sinks in sometime before November :)