New to this all....

AussieChris

New elf
Hey all.

Hope you've all had a great Christmas and your wonderful displays have been worth it.

So, I am planning for 2015 as I have said in previous posts.....

I have read "the bible" which is a fantastic package of notes posted on here somewhere...

Really dont know where to start, I really need some one on one guidence, I basically want a set to music display

Now I understand that its a wide world I am attempting but I am getting more more confused about what system to build.

Thank you for your ongoing help,

Chris

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Welcome.
This is my thought process.

1. decide where you will display.
2. decide what you would like to focus on, eaves, trees, windows ... the "fixed" features
3. decide on what extra "models" you want ... mega trees, arches, mini trees, candles the list is only bounded by your imagination.
4. determine a budget
5. determine if you have, can learn or can get access to the skills needed ... soldering, swiping a credit card, cutting and gluing Coro board, building models, did i mention using the Credit Card.
6. Determine how many channels are required [or can be afforded]
7. Select sequencing software.. LOR, xLights/Nutcracker (my choice for now), LSP to name a few
8. Learn sequencing, networking,
9. select hardware, controllers, network switches, laptop, wifi requirements, etc etc
10, consider the impact on the neighbors and neighborhood .... do you need traffic management

most of all ASK thru the chats and the forums..... ;)

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome48.gif

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL !

I suggest (first year) : Start with the software , one or two elements , and the supporting controller , PSU and accessories. Order now , build it , test it , ask lots of questions , then order the next lot.

Repeat process until September. hen focus on what u have and getting it to work properly..

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It is a difficult hobby to understand at first and can seem completely overwhelming at first. You are not the first one to feel this way at first, most have been there. But with some persistence, questions, reading and rereading then before you know it the pieces will start to fall into place.
One good way to learn is to plan to be at your local mini meet which is held around June and to also see someone who lives nearby who can show you some hardware.

Its definitely not easy to start with but there is a great community willing to answer your questions and you have given yourself plenty of time to learn to get a show up for 2015

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
nzlongfellow may have got it in one. As a newbie this year, I'm not sure that will have helped you.

I don't do a 'show off' musical sequence. I just put out a timed sequence that adds a little impact to the street with a few features that get kids dancing.

I use Vixen 3, a JS1 P12S and two DMX36 which control about 2000 pixels and many legacy (BigW/Bunnings) LED strings.

Get into chat. This link is for introductions, but ask questions under other topics in he forum. I have found ACL will give great guidance. R

logandc99

Dedicated elf
If, like me and many many others, you are not an electrician and very new to all this stuff, it can seem a bit mind boggling. I'd agree with Gerry's post and start small in the first year ( I did) and get to grips with the software options, hardware options and then concentrate on a relatively small number of elements at first. You are starting nice and early in the year so will have a good amount of time to start building up your display for next Xmas. It can be a good idea to NOT go hard out in the beginning and end up investing in a lot of hardware that you might quickly outgrow i.e. don't buy a ton of dumb RGB lights only to find in year two you want to replace them all with smart RGB lights ( pixels).
And of course there is a ton of info and help from the ACL community with people willing to answer even the most basic of questions without making you feel silly ( after all we all had to start from the beginning at some stage). This was my third year and I still feel miles behind in knowledge compared to many here but have still been able to put together displays I am proud of and that have put smiles on many faces in the lead up to Xmas.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
i am in my first year too from info i received i am going pixels straight up and the other piece of info i recieved was to go to google maps screen shot a pic of your house and start designing then workout what lights you want to use and how many then you can work out what and how many controllers and power supplies you need