3.x New Vixen 3 Dev build.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
See below a copy of what was posted on the other forum.

Tonight's dev build (179 and 180) will contain the bulk of the engine performance work we've been working on since November. It also contains the new layering system that we previewed at expo.
This build introduces changes to your profile that are NOT backwards compatible. Please make a copy of your profile before using this build. Your profile and sequences should migrate forward with no issues, but if you have any, we want to hear about it in detail.
This build will result in very significant performance gains. At expo, I demonstrated a 55,000 channel display (thanks James) with little to no lag on a 5 year old laptop running on battery.
If you read the build notes, you'll see a lot of little goodies in this build. We'll be talking a lot about these things soon. But I just wanted to make a post right away about the backwards incompatible nature of this build.

--Jon Chuchla--

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Within the next two weeks there will also be a further approx 12 Native effects created from the Nutcracker in Vixen. However they will offer many many more features and options. Also the Twinkle, snowflake and Firworks effects have been upgraded with many more features and options.

Still in the works and may not make it just yet is location based for effects. You will have an option of standard or have the effect spread across the entire group, for example across the entire house or over say a number trees.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
gnarmstr said:
Within the next two weeks there will also be a further approx 12 Native effects created from the Nutcracker in Vixen. However they will offer many many more features and options. Also the Twinkle, snowflake and Firworks effects have been upgraded with many more features and options.

Still in the works and may not make it just yet is location based for effects. You will have an option of standard or have the effect spread across the entire group, for example across the entire house or over say a number trees.

have they put the vu meter effect in yet? (or is that still only if you have the files)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
No it's not. That's one I haven't been working on. I will see if anything more has been done as there were some issues with it.

Also once you upgrade to the latest build then any effects that you are using that are not part of the Vixen build will no longer work as there have been changes to the effects code due to the layering feature.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
gnarmstr said:
No it's not. That's one I haven't been working on. I will see if anything more has been done as there were some issues with it.

Also once you upgrade to the latest build then any effects that you are using that are not part of the Vixen build will no longer work as there have been changes to the effects code due to the layering feature.
dam, no new vixen for me then

ive used that effect since the start.. without it i have no show, an therefore no need for vixen

Kitman

Full time elf
Been hanging out for the new release of Vixen and the Nutcracker effects to be made native. Some of the effects I want to use I don't have the options available that I need so having these as native is really going to make me a happy camper.

Still working on sequencing all of my songs and haven't run a show before so if some stuff doesn't come across it won't bother me too much, it may make me re think all of my effects.

Thank you Vixen team for the hard work keep it up and I hope the native effects come a bit quicker than 2 weeks ;)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Kitman said:
Been hanging out for the new release of Vixen and the Nutcracker effects to be made native. Some of the effects I want to use I don't have the options available that I need so having these as native is really going to make me a happy camper.

Still working on sequencing all of my songs and haven't run a show before so if some stuff doesn't come across it won't bother me too much, it may make me re think all of my effects.

Thank you Vixen team for the hard work keep it up and I hope the native effects come a bit quicker than 2 weeks ;)

All previous sequences should work fine with the new release and Dev builds, so you will not loose anything. It's only if users have used effects created outside of Vixen and they haven't yet made it in the main code. For example the Audio meter effects.

Kitman

Full time elf
So the Nutcracker effect is still there but all of the effects have been exported as native effects with more programming options?

If that's the case then I will convert the Nutcracker effects to the native effects and fine tune even more.... Ohh dear god I think I may get way too carried away and run out of time lol I am already programming one song almost down to the individual pixel just to get the effect I want...... and with layers I can even make that effect look even better.

Don't want to be at work now want to be home testing out the dev build lol.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Kitman said:
So the Nutcracker effect is still there but all of the effects have been exported as native effects with more programming options?

If that's the case then I will convert the Nutcracker effects to the native effects and fine tune even more.... Ohh dear god I think I may get way too carried away and run out of time lol I am already programming one song almost down to the individual pixel just to get the effect I want...... and with layers I can even make that effect look even better.

Don't want to be at work now want to be home testing out the dev build lol.

That is correct. The Nutcracker will still be available if you need to edit existing Nutcracker effects by double clicking on the effect in the sequence however the nutcracker effect will be removed from the list so it stops people adding more Nutcracker effects.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Updated copied from doityourself forum.

There's a series of new builds coming out tonight. The first was a bug fix for the minimize bug found earlier this week. The rest all add new effects. strictly speaking, these are mostly not new effects, but they're native versions of the effects that used to be in the old monolithic nutcracker effect. These have all been made into native vixen effects and most received enhancements along the way. The common enhancements include different direction support, gradient support rather than just simple colors, and a bunch of other odds and ends as well. Your old nutcracker effects will not automatically migrate to use the new ones. They're just a bit too different to do that automatically. But the old nutcracker effects will continue to work. After all of these get merged this will mark the official deprecation of the old nutcracker effect. It won't be removed for a while yet, but we will likely restrict edits and adding new effects of the same type. The new ones will be the only version supported moving forward and will the only versions getting further enhancements.

--Jon Chuchla--

Kitman

Full time elf
I was hoping that the Layering ability might work a little differently than what it seems to.

I have some pixel icicles that I am setting up and I have been programming each drop individually so as to match with the piano parts of the song. I was hoping that using the layer ability I could have those as the "top" layer and then put something like twinkle on the "bottom" layer so that the parts of the icicles that I don't have anything programmed they would twinkle while the other drops stand out with the single colour, however it's not working this way regardless of what option I select for the layer.

I haven't tried another effect that may work but so far doesn't seem to have my desired result. I may have to put twinkle on each drop so as to have the desired result.

Happy to share my sequence so you can understand what I mean.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Great success here.

I've always wanted to be able to have animations inherit colour from the parent/global level in the grid.

https://youtu.be/2u_3NCrqv3Y

Same works for the text effect too.