Newbie asking what to use where and how?

glennoky

New elf
Hi All,

Given the broad choice of String Vs Strip, I'm wondering what will work best for a given location, in a context of my initial goal being to outline as much as I can (from displays I've seen, this is always an eye-caching feature).

For flat street facing surfaces, such as walls and roof line, it appears Strip (using Suntuff end cap?) is the way to go?

What I'm less certain on how to do is the edges of my garden beds, paths and driveway, as they are curved. I'm thinking vertically mounted (somehow) bullets? These giving a better field of view?

2nd phase will be the large Fountain we have, made up of a cube base, a large dish on top, and a large ball inside this (the water comes out of the top of the ball). I think this has potential, but with my current understanding I'm at a loss at how to go about it. :)

Thanks,
Glenn.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Glenn,

the suntuf end cap is a great solution for house outlines, but it is a bit $$ at $8.5 per 3m length. I used it on my house, it keeps the strip straight and is easy to put the strip in and out of. the fineline number at bunnings is 1010480 ( for some reason it is hidden in their computer system )

As for your garden beds, strip will bend, some people have run it inside clear plastic hose. This might work? also have a look at matt johnsons videos on youtube. he has a frame with nodes and C9 covers(?) which is very neat.

Have a look at these as another idea for your garden http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/promotion-20pcs-string-DC12V-WS2811-LED-full-color-pixel-module-IP68-0-72W/701799_1921795013.html

As for the fountain, I'm thinking about 300 litres of silastic..... ;) ( or use RGB floodlights)

Cheers
Fing

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
welcome to ACL

I have used mainly strip in the past and just attach it to 25mm electrical conduit with cable ties, makes it easy to install, pull down and store and makes the lines very straight. If you look around and buy it in a bundle you can get it for around $4 per length

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

I think a lot depends on your preference. You can make either work. I have strip all over the house facia, but string on/for trees. Strip for aches . 5050 nodes inside Coro items .

But just as many people could have exactly the opposite. As Eddy said strip in Bunning's endcaps or on 25mm PVC pipes is quite easy to setup (even for me :) )

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.