Newbie / hacking controllers

scotthorwell

New elf
Hi, after purchasing an LOR controller from Yagoona lights earlier in the year it's now time to try and put it all together. Firstly trying to salvage the lights that I've used statically for the last few years. Ive searched and found the document showing varying controllers and the bypass method, but alas none of my match.....

Would appreciate if anyone can assist in the hacking / pin soldering required to save me some dollars and being able to use these.

Firstly I've got a few new rope lights which I'd really like to try and use - Flexineon
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

Then some bunnings lights
[smfattach=4][/smfattach][smfattach=5][/smfattach]

Any advise (even if the only option is cutting them up) would be appreciated

cozbert

Full time elf
hopefully this pic will be of some use, the transistors that you can see on the board (little black things with 3 legs) should all have a common powersupply track and one leg going out to the lights like you can see in the control board that i have posted up. if you solder the pads together that are circled red you will effectively short out the transistors that do the blinky flashy thing and you will have a static string that you should be able to control with your LOR board :)
shell.jpg

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
for the big-w strings with controllers, you can cut the wires as they go into the controller.. one will be + the rest will be a ch of GND . (if there 1 GND an multi + then this way wont work)
they will work with any dc controller from lor to rays to the pixel dc ones

you could do the same with the rope, but thats 240v... so you on your hacking there (sorry)

scotthorwell

New elf
Thanks Cozbert, I'll give it a try in the morning.
Smatalec, thanks too, I failed to mention I've only got the AC LOR to start with (winning the LED strip at the mini will have to wait for me to figure out what I need to get the DC side running)

scotthorwell

New elf
Cozbert, I owe you a beer or two (next time I'm in SA), you've just saved me a few bucks. Mod worked despite the fact I haven't soldered in years!!! Thanks again

scotthorwell

New elf
You're right David.... Just had a look back at work bench now the excitement has subsided, and a tidy up / organisation process is now complete (and my life is a little more secure) ::)

cozbert

Full time elf
No worries, glad to be able to help :) always pays to clean up before testing tho ;). I do all my testing away from my work area to avoid mishaps, and incase anything let's the magic smoke out.