Newbie with RPI-28D+ and New Falcon

Reebdoog

New elf
Hi All,

Just getting some stuff coming through the mail soon and wanted to find out more info, I can't seem to piece it all together with all the changes lately.
With the new license needed (maybe?) for the Falcon Player and 28D+, how many LEDS (or Pixels) can I run off each Physical port? Also, can the WS2801 and WS2811 be used at the same time? Or it's one or the other only?

Thanks.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
rPi28D+ can be used without a license on FPP 6.x by using the older RPI2811 code.
This will give you 2x WS2811 pixel strings, and 1x WS2801 pixel string from the board.
These can both be used simultaneously.

However, if you wish to use the onboard sound (ie. not through a Soundblaster etc) you will need to run the DPIpixels code, which is licensed.
By using DPI pixels code, you can run 4x WS2811 strings, sacrificing the WS2801 output (one string from the data port, and one from the clock port). This will require a license for 4 ports.

Each port can run around 800 pixels at 40fps.

Reebdoog

New elf
rPi28D+ can be used without a license on FPP 6.x by using the older RPI2811 code.
This will give you 2x WS2811 pixel strings, and 1x WS2801 pixel string from the board.
These can both be used simultaneously.

However, if you wish to use the onboard sound (ie. not through a Soundblaster etc) you will need to run the DPIpixels code, which is licensed.
By using DPI pixels code, you can run 4x WS2811 strings, sacrificing the WS2801 output (one string from the data port, and one from the clock port). This will require a license for 4 ports.

Each port can run around 800 pixels at 40fps.
Thanks, appreciate the quick response!

Is there a limit on 2801 pixels? I can't seem to find any info easily on how long I can run using Falcon

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The
Thanks, appreciate the quick response!

Is there a limit on 2801 pixels? I can't seem to find any info easily on how long I can run using Falcon
The numbers for 2801 was 600, 800 or 1000 from memory. In theory it could actually be 1600+ because WS2801 can handle a faster data rate than WS2811. Only the gurus like @dkulp or @CaptainMurdoch would actually be able to say if the clock rate used for WS2801 is fixed or if it is adjusted to be as slow or fast as could be to fit the required fps and pixel count.