noisy and abusive light visitors

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
Just wondering if anyone else have really noisy light visitors? last week i had 2 car loads of people turn up at approx 11.30pm to look at my lights. You would think at that time of night people would have enough sense to keep the noise down....not these ones. there was about 8 adults and 2 kids, the kids are running up and down the street and playing in the middle of the road and the adults wernt just talking, they were yelling to each other, the next thing i hear one of the kids yelling something and i thought...hang on that didnt sound right, so i went to the front door just in time to hear him yell out at the top of his lungs " Hey Santa, why dont you go shove something up your HoHoHo!!" with that, i went and tuned down the music, turned off the projector with the virtual santa and went outside just in time to hear him yelling it out again and the adult next to him laughing at what he was saying. So i told him that santa was so disgusted with what he was saying that he had left my house and told him he was going to get nothing for christmas if he kept talking like that. the kid ran off and one of the women come over to ask me what he was saying, i told her he was yelling it so loud that i could hear it over my tv and the christmas music. She then wen to the car yelling at him and slapping him. Some people just have no respect. I have decided in future that if i have any more rowdy visitors, i will ask then nicely to keep the noise down, if they dont im not going to hesitate to turn the lights off

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
If their stereo is up we can log into FPP and turn the volume down immediately. If they are yelling like idiots we don't hesitate to hit stop now and the lights don't go out until they leave. I also walk up and photograph them and their car rego with my phone and say "it's so if we get ONE complaint I can provide the police with details so you can be charged"

Oh because we are outside from 8-10pm most nights, we use our phones to do the volume and stop - I can get the phone out, log in and have the volume at 0, or stop the show in less than 10 seconds

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I turn mine lights off at 9:30pm each night, sometimes a little later in the days before the 25th. I can imagine that places with DST may have them on later.

But why are people out at 11:30pm looking at lights anyway - especially with kids? I must say I'd not want to be in a street where the lights are on and cars are coming around so late at night for a whole month.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
If I have noisy cars, I go into the vis santa room and turn the radio down. I put my finger to my lips so they can see my shadow. (shhhhhh) I then turn the volume back up a little. Seems to work without upsetting them. My show stop at 10 and 11 fri & sat.

All the best for 2017

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
David_AVD said:
I turn mine lights off at 9:30pm each night, sometimes a little later in the days before the 25th. I can imagine that places with DST may have them on later.

But why are people out at 11:30pm looking at lights anyway - especially with kids? I must say I'd not want to be in a street where the lights are on and cars are coming around so late at night for a whole month.
thing is we dont usually have any problem, but there is always that one to ruin it. It doesnt really get dark here until 9pm so turning them off early would be pointless, especially after all the months of effort we put in to them. I have fantastic neighbours who all love my lights and dont mind that i have them on till midnight everynight from the beginning of November till new years eve. they actually are sad to see them come down

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
That's one disadvantage of DST I guess. It's just dark enough at 6:30pm (7:30 is way better) for families to start looking at lights here.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I always found that after 10pm that most of the visitors would be young people that seemed to not care about anyone. 95% of all noise related incidents that I experienced over a 4 year period were caused by someone with a P plate on their car. It got to the point where ever there was a noise disturbance I knew before I looked that they would have a P plate on the car.
So in the end there was no real reason to run the show after 10.30pm because by that time all the families have gone and only left with the noisy young crowd.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I feel the same way Eddy. If you run your lights until quite late in the night, you gotta expect issues.

In my opinion, catering to the majority of viewers is the right thing to do unless you live in the sticks where the late night lights and noise don't cause an issue for neighbours.

People will adapt to the display's hours of operation just like they do with shop opening hours. When I've heard the odd car go up and down our street after light's out, I've never felt the urge to extend the hours "just in case".