Non Christmas light project

5teve

New elf
Hi Have just written a massive post and it errored out on me :'( and it doesn't look like i can post attachments.

OK I'll try again shorter this time.

I am trying to create a variable colour / flashing uplight system for my new patio. I was originally going to use RGB strips but then noticed digital, which I thought I could experiment with on this project with a view to looking at xmas lights later in the year.

Anyway... I intend there to be 7x 1m LED strips and 2x 1.5m strips fixed to the upper side of each rafter. This will create a colour wash as well as an ambient light. in total the total length will be about 20m including connection wires. See attachment for clearer explanation.

I need the system to be really easy to use (otherwise I get yelled at), either via smartphone, wall plate or nice remote control (even all 3!) but most systems I have seen require programming in some form?

I came across this controller http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-WiFi-SPI-Controlle-support-LPD6803-TM1809-WS2801-WS2811-TLS3001-UCS1903-etc-IC-dream-color-lights/701799_722406050.html which looks like it has the smartphone support - great. But looking at DMX systems etc it looks like a system could be set up which would allow wall plate - remote - programming and maybe smartphone.

As i know nothing (despite several days research) about DMX or SPI I am at a loss as to the best way to achieve what I want to do.

I also have some concerns about pushing 5v at large current through thin cables. I want to try and keep the installation discreet, so would prefer thin cables rather than thick. I would guess power injection is possible tho? The other option that i cant work out is running each strip on its own channel but my dumb brain tells me that each strip would do the same thing, eg strip 1 pixel 10 comes on and channels 2-8 would mimic this.. (thinking of the 8 channel SPI repeater that Ray Wu sells) is this the case?

so.. the biggie..

can anyone suggest some direction for me? I don't need all the forms of control. It would be nice to have a simple remote that allows colour change, and a system that allows programming / use of pre-programmed chases and patterns. Then on a day to day basis on / off / dim / colour change are used - but I have the ability to mess around with the controller and either run presets or create programs..

Have i made any sense?

Attachments

• pation light layout.jpg
    pation light layout.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 31

5teve

New elf
I'm also just starting to read the LED manual.. I may be some time....

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi Steve
If I was doing this, I would use sections of dumb RGB 5050 strip 60 LEDs/m on top of each of the rafters (60/m to increase light intensity). This is available as 12 & 24V strip (lower currents than 5V digital). It could be driven by a LOR DC board connected to a suitable power supply. The LOR DC board includes on board memory from which you can run a moderate sequence whenever it is triggered (or whenever it is powered on), The 16 channel board is $99 + delivery and will run 5 RGB channels so you could split your rafters to provide different colour patterns. If I remember correctly, only 1 sequence can be stored to run in stand alone mode.

My thoughts for what they are worth

5teve

New elf
Hi Geoff

Thanks for your feedback there! I have spoken to eddy and a few others on chat and came to the conclusion i was complicating things too much.. so i have gone for dumb rgb strips and a wireless / smartphone controller. (plus amplifier as i'm running 10m and the control gear will be in the roof)

All ordered from Ray at a very reasonable price so just have to wait for it to get here!

i'll look at pixels etc later in the year for xmas..

thanks again

Steve