non-responsive p12s after storm

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Hey all,

I have multiple p12s controllers that I started using last year. I leave one of them setup in my garage for testing purposes throughout the year (as well as an e6804 that is running 12V). Right now, I'm busy wrapping elements for the display and have been running the elements to look for failures in the pixel strings so that I can report back to Ray and get replacements. Today (this is the stormy season here in Melbourne, Florida), one of our Florida specials came through and I noticed that my test had stopped working. This test is run out of LSP from my computer in the den inside our house (the computer is connected directly to the controller through a long Cat 5 cable). I tried resetting the software, then the controller... still nada... I shut the controller off and set the dip switches to the test output mode and all of my wreaths lit up just fine... PHEW. I shut the controller off and set the dip switches to the forced 10.10.10.10 mode and came back in to try and connect to the user interface using my web browser. Nothing... I unplugged everything and brought the controller in the house so that I could try to connect directly to the computer without the long cable. Plugged it in after connecting a short ethernet cable directly from the computer and I still couldn't connect to the 10.10.10.10 or the 10.10.10.5 IP addresses.

So... any ideas? I would send an email to Ed at J1SYS but he hasn't responded to emails of late pertaining to a controller that I sent back to him in February. I figured this forum would be faster.

Here is what else I know: As I mentioned above, the controller must be 99% good if I was able to output signal to the lights with the dip switches in test mode output. The heartbeat LED is fine and blinking. When I connect the ethernet cable to controller, there is a green LED light on the RJ45 jack on the controller, but no blinking amber light on the same jack....

Never mind... as I was talking myself through all of this... I ended up deciding to try and connect the controller to my other computer in here and look at the network connections settings in the computer... which showed the typical "unidentified network" (the show computer was showing "network cable disconnected"). I started thinking that maybe the ethernet card on the show computer was fried... but then decided to reboot said computer and everything is working now :p

I still decided to post this as a lesson learned... always reboot everything... including the computer :D

-Louie in Lightning Land

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Good to see nutz4lights,
Your not alone and a big part of this hobby is definitely trouble shooting stuff and not assuming too much.

Blink on.,

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Nothing like a great story with a happy ending. Thanks for this, as no doubt there is a chance of this happening to us all.