Noobie need advise on 12 pixels individually spread out

Lumen

New elf
Hi,

my spec is as follows:

- 12 RGB pixels which will be placed separatedly
- spacing between them is around 2 metres, where I have a 4 x 3 grid (covering thus an area of around 8 by 6 metres)
- LEDs should have good colour precision and strong brightness, angle as wide as possible
- installation must be weather proof
- LEDs must be controllable from a Raspberry Pi

So after asking around, basically everyone recommended that instead of getting a PWD board for the Pi and driving RGB LEDs individually, it would be advisable to use auto-addressable LEDs such as WS2811 style. My thought is to buy a strip and cut them individually, then extend them with rather thick copper wires (e.g. 1.5mm per wire) to minimise power loss, and also go for 12V rather than 5V. So would something like this work: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01JTW6BPW/ - 12V Digital Full color RGB LED Exposed Light String 12mm WS2811 Digital Led Pixel Module ? Does 12V mean I have to transform the Pi's data signal also from 3.3V up to 12V, or would a Logic Level Converter to 5V suffice?

There's also these professional things https://www.enttec.com/eu/products/...rproof-16mm-opal-dome-white-rgb-5v-pixel-dot/ - Enttec 9PDOT8, only they are too expensive; they might be an option if I find a variant that just packages 25 instead of 50 units and cuts the price in half. I understand I will have to budget a controller as well, and a USB-to-DMX for the Pi, in this case.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
How much light are you looking at putting out? Individual pixel nodes aren't going to be real bright. Depending on the look and the amount of light then pixel modules of either rectangular or circular shape might be best for you.
"All" pixels use 5V logic for the data (and clock if required) regardless of whether they are 5V, 12V or 24V. You'll need to provide some level conversion from the Pi's 3.3V up to 5V.
The 2m pixel to pixel distance is easily achieved as they will typically do lots more than that. 12 standard pixels is only about 650mA at full brightness on white so you don't need to worry too much about voltage drop particularly if you're using 12V or 24V pixels.
Connecting a pair of power wires from 1st pixel to the end of the last 1 will provide "power injection" and mean that you are unlikely to need to worry about using heavy cabling.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ransparent-cover-with/701799_32325885575.html

Lumen

New elf
Hi Alan,

thanks for the fast answer! Sounds like it's doable, thanks for the tip with the "power injection"! The multi-module seems to be a good idea; I might prototype with single LEDs to see how that works. It's an outdoor installation but should be just very subtle, so too bright is also not good. Thanks for the link, that also got me to find some very similar WorldSemi ones (that already have an opal dome attached) for 5 EUR per piece.

Reactions: AAH