Not able to talk to my Pixlite16

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I am NOT using a crossover cable but I AM going through a switch from my computer. I can't seem to get any response from the board. Do I need to use a crossover cable even though I am going through a switch? --Greg--

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I should also say that the 'Assistant' does recognize that the board is installed and I was able to update the parameters on the board. Should I be able to see some response from the board when I poll the board directly by typing it's address?? Nothing happens?? Not sure what to think? --Greg--

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Do you mean you're trying to access it via a browser?

As far as I know the Pixlite boards don't have a web interface.

ltay13

Full time elf
Greg.Ca said:
I should also say that the 'Assistant' does recognize that the board is installed and I was able to update the parameters on the board.

That means you are talking to it correctly then. When you say "poll the board", are you pinging it's IP address or typing it's IP into a browser as DAVD said? If you're pinging, it should work if you can see it in the Assistant. If you're typing into a browser then you won't get a response, all config is done via the Assistant.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I did expect to see some response when I typed in it's address from a web browser. I do not see any response from a browser that but I understand now that is normal. I am able to use the assistant and it responds from the assistant if and only if I use factory recommended settings of 10.10.0.012 and 10.10.0.20

I'm having different problems now that I updated the firmware to the latest 1.4.5 yesterday and now there seems to be a clash between my computers IP address and the address I want the board to be on. I get this message that the IP address of the device is not compatable with your PC's IP setting. Would you like to change the IP setting on the device so that you can properly communicate with it?

I have tried dozens of possible settings. NOTHING works, however yesterday BEFORE I updated the firmware, it worked just fine with the board assigned to 10.10.10.17 and the computer assigned to 10.10.10.100

Now I just get this annoying error message with IP incompatabilities. every time I use the assistant. Yikes!! Any suggestions? --Greg--

ltay13

Full time elf
Just saw this question here (it was resolved through support), in-case anyone sees the problem mentioned here in the future:

Greg.Ca said:
I get this message that the IP address of the device is not compatable with your PC's IP setting. Would you like to change the IP setting on the device so that you can properly communicate with it?

The issue was that the subnet mask on the PixLite and the PC did not match. The subnet mask plays a part in networking as well as the IP address. Rule of thumb, keep them the same.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Are you able to reconfigure it with the assistant ?

If not, the default netmask for a 10.x.x.x network is 255.0.0.0 you could try changing your PC's netmask to 255.0.0.0 to see if you can reach it. Then modify the Boards netmask to 255.255.255.0 and then change your PC's netmask back to 255.255.255.0

Basically as L_Tay said, the netmasks on both devices should be the same.

-Blu

#1mate

364 Days building 1 night admiring.
Greg,
If you have used the boot loader the ip address is 192.168.0.50 (this is factory preset)
You may have to change you computer ip to 192.168.0.00
This should allow you to see it and then change the ip via advatec assistant.

Cheers
Brett

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Another thing to try if you run into that error message (incompatible IP address) is making sure bluetooth is off (if your laptop/desktop has bluetooth). I get that error message when I forget and leave my bluetooth on. Shut bluetooth off and Assistant goes back to normal operation (not sure if it's a bug or intended - was frustrated like Greg until I figured it out).