not really new but keen again

drakky

Senior elf
Hi Guys
I joined this forum about 4 years ago so I'm not really new, but then moved about 3.5 years ago and changed jobs haven't had any time to even think about lights other than basic static display I put up , however I've decided to see if I can do it .
I grabbed all the controllers I bought way back then , yet to test them , hope they work , though seems the new go is the falcon board
I've forgotten everything so went back and read the 101 , now it seems there has been quite a few advances in the last 4 years with Pi's and xLights etc so it looks like a massive learning curve

problem is the roof is quite wide about 35 metres and I have only about 2 metres of space at the front of the building also.
just wanting some advice to see if I'm on the right track , I've drawn an image of the controllers I have and some of the things I want to do, (not everything in the photo is in the controller diagram yet) , am I on the right track or have I no idea? ,should I get different controllers and do it differently ?
any advice is welcome

Controllers_Diagram.jpg

Img_4409_show_s.jpg

i13

Dedicated elf
Looks ok to me. If the stars on output 3 of the P12R are the 12V milky white ones that Ray sells then I have previously read that they don't pass on a very strong signal. You may need to use a null pixel (that is not a star) to pass on the data, especially considering that you have them passsing data on to DC controllers. Using a separate P12R output would be another way to keep the DC controllers working. This is old information but it may still be an issue.

Note that J1sys pixel controllers don't allow very long distances to the first pixel even if you use coaxial cable. Nulls are again the solution. This may be an issue with a house that's 35 metres wide. The DR4 is not a pixel controller and it doesn't have this problem with its DMX outputs.

drakky

Senior elf
thanks for the tip i13 I'll do that , but the basic theory is correct yes? I'm just trying to get my head around it all and make sure I'm thinking in the right direction, wasn't sure if I should scrap the controllers and go for the newer ones , as these are sort of older technology , not sure if they even work as I've never tested them , I suppose when I plug them in I'll find out