Not really the best news - but we'll remain positive

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day all, some of you are aware my son underwent radiotherapy treatment earlier in the year to halt the progress of a brain tumour that has started to grow again. I have had a couple of people enquire about his progress. Today was his follow up scan.
This will sound a little worse than what I believe it is.
We were told by the professor after he saw the scan that the tumour was "more abnormal". He said that is unusual for the type of tumour they believe it to be. Huh? We're not exactly sure what that is supposed to mean (I don't think he's giving us all the info yet). He will meet with the rest of my son's team of doctors tomorrow.

The positive -
at this stage another scan will be done in 3 months time. So it's obviously not aggressive. See, positive!
My son is fine and if you met him, you wouldn't know there was any issue (except he is a typical 13 y.o.).
Now, if anybody knows any of my family, the word is - my son's scan was good and everything is fine. (They worry a lot)

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Wow, that is a heart string clencher.

I hope that the lack of information is because there is actually nothing else to add to it.

I hope for the best for you, your son and the family.

dale82

Senior elf
Hey there, positivity is the best medicine! I know what you or should I say your son is going through, I've been in his shoes, what sort of Tumour does he have? I have a pituitary tumour, meds are now keeping it at bay ( for now anyway). All I can say is be positive and laugh lots.

Habbosrus

Back again
Thanks everybody. I'm sure things are fine. Doctors have their own language and ways of saying things sometimes. He is doing fine and doesn't appear to be letting anything bother him. I try to ensure he knows I'm there for him when he needs to talk or vent or ask questions.
He had 2 parts to the tumour originally. One part was a ganglioglioma and I can't remember the name for the other. Not aggressive, but in a horrible position. We just have to keep an eye on him and get him to Sydney if anything changes.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
You should bring him down to the Mini on Sunday then - always fun things for the family to look at, and Caves Beach is not that far :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My thoughts and wishes are with your son and you and your family, im sure everything will work out. I myself have a 12 year old son and i can only partially comprehend what you would be going through. So a positive attitude is what will keep you strong.

I agree with lithgow, come down to the Sydney mini as that will definetly take your mind off things. If its the cost in petrol that is keeping you from coming then im sure we would all be happy to throw in a few bucks together to pay for your trip down and back.

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
Steve,
May God reach down & touch your son in such a way as to give him a full & beautiful long life with plenty of wonderful memories to share through out the family.
We will pray for him & your family.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Wow, that is a tough thing to have to deal with for your son, yourself and your family. I truly hope things progress in a positive direction.

Boof63

Senior elf
As as a father you only wish the best for your children. I hope that this all turns out for the best. I'm not particulary religious, but i will say a prayer or two for you and your family. Keep the positive vibe going and remember you have a whole community here barracking for you.
Regard's and Best wishes
Boof63 :)

Valentinorx

Apprentice elf
I will add your son to our nightly prayers. I hope that you and your family stay positive and make recovery happen. Radiation, chemo, other meds, is 50% of it. The other 50% is the strength of the human spirit. Don't let it falter.