Options for power injection connectors

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
After the interesting testing with the Ray Wu 2 pin pigtails that dismayed me with the voltage drop I went on the search for options that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Now power injection especially at 5v is a fact of life.
One option of course it to just buy the power injection T's already made. Now i don't own any but if they use the same 0.5mm2 cable that is common then they are far from effective.

I have always just hung a Ray Wu 2pin off the pixel string used either 1mm2 or 0.75mm2 to get from the PSU .... hey it worked but certainly no were near as good as it could be.

So with some past/current experience in the RF world where insertion loss for connectors is a big deal I conducted some measurements on 3 IP68 options i have now.

So test scenario was approx 400mm length from PSU to E-Load with a Male/Female connect pair in the middle
Current used to get voltage drop and hence insertion resistance was 10A

So in the ring is top to bottom
A cheap weatherproof automotive connectors that you can squeeze 1mm2 (10A) cable into but i have been using 0.75mm2 as it fits better
A M16 2 pin connector as purchased with pure copper 0.75mm2 conductors, this is the same physical size as the Ray Wu 3pin units also M16 size
a Ray Wu 13.5mm 2Pin connector, This is an old pair with pure copper wire but 0.5mm2. this wire size is normal but i do have thinner wire ones in this range.
Bottom is 400mm of Twin flex 0.75mm pure copper purchased from Bunnings in the past as a control measure.

Yeah i actually had to extend the Auto connector wire a little.

P2110102.jpg

mOhms Totalvdrop @ 10aVdrop @ 5A
Auto 2pin410.410.21
M16 2 pin340.340.17
Ray wu 2 pin1261.260.63
400mm wire380.380.19

Note the voltage drop numbers are for the pair of connectors as shown in the photo.

My thoughts on the numbers.
  • The 400mm wire segment sets the baseline for the self terminated option of the Auto connector. The connector adds a few milliOhms and is largely transparent
  • The M16 with 0.75mm2 wire actually beats it and has the lowest loss overall.
  • The smaller Ray Wu connector with the lower wire size is even for 5A about the peak current for pixel strings is not really suitable if your chasing the lowest loss. Ok in a 12v setup, use as loast resort in 5v
  • The Auto connector as above is largely transparent and the extra splice joint may have caused a slight loss.
So over all the M16 2pin connector is a winner.

cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The M16 connectors came from..

I have asked them if they have a related panel mount option as well

The 2 wire auto connector comes from
They are cheap if you have the time to make them up, the first few were fiddle but not so bad after that

brando

Full time elf
Great info, thanks Phil. I’ll remove the 60 pairs of Ray 2 pins from my AE cart. I assume the tee’s themselves would also cause issue? As in would it be worthwhile cutting the 2 pin off the tee and replacing with a better option, as I already have a bunch

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Great info, thanks Phil. I’ll remove the 60 pairs of Ray 2 pins from my AE cart. I assume the tee’s themselves would also cause issue?
This i can't say as i don't have any T's to examine and test. The basics will apply though, if they are made with 0.5mm2 wire or need the smaller Ray Wu style to connect the PI then I would be at least careful.
In real use with maybe a couple of amps of current then vdrop is not a big factor.

As in would it be worthwhile cutting the 2 pin off the tee and replacing with a better option, as I already have a bunch

Keep this in mind
I have used these 2 pin connectors for years, have hundreds of them in the display and can't say i have noticed an issue but knowing what i do from testing i will slowly change these out.

One thing is this is important optimization of a 5v based display, the vdrop exists for a 12v display but the head room is higher and the loss can be tolerated in nearly every case.

TLDR: Be aware of the numbers above but don't panic to swap out stuff that has been working for you ... Ultimately this is about optimisation.

Cheers
Phil

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
Can you explain how a straight bit of wire has a larger voltage drop the a length of what seems to be the same wire with a connector in the middle

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Can you explain how a straight bit of wire has a larger voltage drop the a length of what seems to be the same wire with a connector in the middle
Fairly simple to explain away, the M16 connector pair is as supplied with advertised 0.75mm2 wire, it may be just better than advertised. Even though i repeated the test a few times I may not have got as good a connection with the bare copper under the screw terminals as I would have liked. The auto connector was terminated using the same wire and it did show an actual insertion loss increase in the vdrop number.

40mV @ 10A difference was not enough to make me go into to far to be honest

When a crimper i have on order arrives, i can crimp lugs on then all and retest

Cheers
Phil