Options for use of pixel nodes

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
As part of my recent pixel purchases I received a heap of 5v ws2811 node strings. I was told they were for indoor use and are not waterproof. They don't look like they are resin filled or have any silicon where the wires come in so I figure this confirms they are not waterproof.

2811.jpg 2811 2.jpg

They come with IR controllers and power supplies but I wasn't going to use those. The kids have a set in their room though and love playing with them.
2811 controller.jpg

I have not counted but I reckon I would have ten or so of these strings. Is there any way I can use them outdoors by either waterproofing them or putting them in some sort of enclosure. I don't mind doing some work to make use of them but there is a limit. Too many just to use on my Christmas tree inside.

Thanks for the ideas.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I did think of that David but I'm assuming the led end of the fitting is basically waterproof and it is only the wire end that is open. I'm not sure if sealing the wire end with tubing is any more effective than filling the existing fitting with silicon or some other sealant. Happy for any other opinions/options if my assumptions are wrong (and they probably are).

i13

Dedicated elf

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I did think about putting the whole string in tubing as well but I figured it would need to be big tube to be able to pull them through. The odd shape and pull angles wouldn't pull through well I'd imagine.

But on another note. Another item that I inherited with this buy was at least half a dozen ws2811 strips that have no silicon tube. I was going to get some of the normal strip but this larger tubing would be much easier to use. If you could let us know if the pixels will fit that would be great.

i13

Dedicated elf
You probably will be able to fit your strips into that tubing because Ray usually sells the tubing with strips already in it. I can tell you the size and post pictures when it arrives in case you want some for the nodes too. I have only just placed the order a week ago so it will still be a while before it arrives. Ray charged me US $1.40 per metre for the empty tubing but I don't know how much that contributed to the overall shipping price.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the info i13. Does Ray sell the end caps too.

i13

Dedicated elf
I did not require or ask about end caps for my purpose because my lights will already be waterproof.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks i13. I guess it looks like Ray has them and if he has them he will sell them!

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I13 did you ask Ray about the UV resistance of the tubing. I understand that it is from China and even if it does have some sort of rating it'd be taken with a grain of salt, but I was just wondering. Anyone else had that strip out in the sun for a while.

i13

Dedicated elf
I wish I had asked now that you mention it. I could put some out in the sun as a test when it arrives. That would probably be a good idea so I can see if it is an issue and try to tackle it ahead of time.

i13

Dedicated elf
To my surprise the order arrived today. I have attached a photo of this tubing showing internal dimensions. I won't be able to fit my waterproof (in clear silicone tubing) strip inside of this so I'll have to mount the tubing in front of the strip. There's no hope of fitting nodes inside of it as I originally hoped.

Attachments

• 20160502_181141[1].jpg
    20160502_181141[1].jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 18

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the update i13. I gather the tube doesn't come with a pull through string already in it either. I might have to ask ray if he's got any tube that I could pull nodes through.

i13

Dedicated elf
There is a pull through string and end caps. The reason I don't want to rely on this tubing to waterproof my strips is that I think it would be difficult to do a good repair if the strips go faulty.