outputting to lights from the sequencer

Baf05

Full time elf
I seem to be having an issue outputting to my lights, every time I play a section to see how it looks, it takes an age to play. if I turn of the output and just watch in the visualiser all is fine? I had the issue last week, and did something that seemed to fix it, but I don't remember what I did....

Also, LSP seem to take an age to build macro effects, I have a core I7 with enough ram to power a small city! is there something I am doing wrong?

mborg10

Michael Borg
My show last year took about 15 mins to go thru with the output turned on. The more channels I had the worse it got.

What's ages for a macro. I have some take 5 mins or so

Baf05

Full time elf
at the moment I am still only testing. I have a lot of elements but only testing a few at time trying to get the effect I want.
actually, I just did one that was really quick, only on two elements in it. Cant seem to get me spiral tree to spiral like I want.

As I said though last week it was pretty much press play and it started, this week, nope.... so frustrating...

AussieDoug

Full time elf
When making macros it is best to make sure you have un ticked all the layers so you can't see any of your elements.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It all goes down to channel counts, timings and length of sequence, put these all together and you get your sequence memory footprint. So the larger the slower the performance.
The best way when playing around experimenting with macros is to just create a short effect with only a few channels and keep the frames per second down to around 10 frames. By doing this you will make the macro preview work much faster and when you are happy with the result then save the macro effect and then use this for generating onto the correct layer you want.
Part of the reason its taking so long is because it will need to optimize the sequence especially after you have made some changes and the larger the sequence the longer this will take.

Baf05

Full time elf
thanks guys, I am only just at the very start of the sequencing, trying to see if it looks good with the lights, only sort of 3 seconds in on one element with only four strings, it still takes about 5 minutes to get to the outputting, and if I forget to repeat....

sometimes its like one step forwards two back....

I did upgrade to pro the other day. I wonder if that is not helping, but if I can figure a way around it, its going to take a lot longer than I thought to do what I want.... :(

arw01

Full time elf
Wow 5 minutes is a long time, how many channels you working on? with a couple thousand it is maybe 30 seconds or so to render most effects from macros

dale82

Senior elf
Another thing to consider is your audio. What is the bitrate etc. I use 128mbs 440000mhz. This speeds everything up. Superman and Yagoona can verify that as they discovered it I think.

Baf05

Full time elf
Ok so there does seem to be a small bug some where, and I will bet money I cant accurately describe what is happening, however I have now managed to get everything to play very quickly...

there are two ways to play the sequence, from the ribbon at the very top, or from the play back tab. When I try to play from the ribbon it takes ages, but if I play from the playback tab it works...
however not always... there seems to be some kind of conflict between the two. I need to make sure I am also telling it to output and to loop from the playback tab, if I have clicked those in the ribbon, playback is delayed, even if I click play in the playback tab....

once its all sorted, I can the click play from the ribbon! and it works! (this is not quite right, I am trying now to replicate the error, and its back to taking its sweet ass time)

and channel count I don't know, I did try to see if LSP would tell me (I am sure it does) but I cant find where... from the LSP out put config, I think 7562.... if your counting three channels per light.... (Baf the newb :p )

mborg10

Michael Borg
arw01 said:
Wow 5 minutes is a long time, how many channels you working on? with a couple thousand it is maybe 30 seconds or so to render most effects from macros
Yeah I can have some 30 seconds but when I do the whole house macro which last year was 10,000 channels it grinds away for a few minutes.

Baf05

Full time elf
Well I don't know, I cant replicate the fault, only fix it, and only sometimes.....

dale82

Senior elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
arw01 said:
Yeah I can have some 30 seconds but when I do the whole house macro which last year was 10,000 channels it grinds away for a few minutes.

it all depends on your computer specs as to how fast the macros generate, I was using an I7 with 8Gb RAM and it sometimes chugged along, Now I am using an i7 6 core with 32Gb RAM and a 20 Macro across 10500 channel only takes a minute

arw01

Full time elf
Ok dale, what are you doing with a chain of macros that long? Anything for the macro cookbook that is tricky to figure out?