P12s & why it wouldn't work properly

mborg10

Michael Borg
Last year I setup my J1sys p12s to control my mega tree. For the life of me I could not figure out why 2 of my universes wouldn't work. Well today I pulled the controller out to mount into its new box and is found the problem.

Can you spot it
4ype8uba.jpg

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Michael, I've done exactly the same thing as well. Luckily for me I thought one of the wires must have been loose so I pulled the plug out only to realise it was offset by one pin. Spent a fair while going for other options before I got to thinking it was a loose wire though.

They need to make the shape of one of the central pins slightly different so it can only go in one hole. That way it has to be right or it won't fit.

mborg10

Michael Borg
bluzervic said:
Nice catch....is that +V on the data line ?

-blu

Sure is. Don't know what damage it did if any cause the ground was not connected.

If it did any damage, hopefully it was just to the first pixel.

Haven't tested the lights yet as the ones I used last year were wrong spacing and I have replaced all 2016 pixels for my mega tree. The pixels from last years tree will be used for a tunnel. At least the mega tree will work properly now.

buzzdude

Full time elf
I did exactly the same thing last year. Took me an hour of checking everything, until I noticed the offset. Luckily no damage to anything, but I felt stupid and relieved at the same time. bundyroy is onto a great idea.

Boof63

Senior elf
ok as someone looking to order a p12 for a matrix for this year what actually am I missing in the photo, (guessing from comments data into the positive). can someone please explain the mystery,
cheers and thanks

Boof63 :-[

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
the 2 little plugs on the RHS of the picture aren't lined up into the slots correctly

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
Superman said:
the 2 little plugs on the RHS of the picture aren't lined up into the slots correctly
Don't you mean LHS look at p09

oops had my Mickey Mouse watch on the wrong arm again. Left hand side it is.